Moving Files Off External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by awmc, Jan 2, 2009.

1. awmc macrumors newbie

I have a macbook and an Aluratek external hard drive. I am trying to transfer files from it to my computer and it keeps saying unexpected error occurred (error code -1426). Any suggestions how to fix this?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, that's odd. The only place I've been able to find that error online is with regard to iPhones.

What is the drive formatted as?

3. awmc thread starter macrumors newbie

it says Mac OS Extended (Case-Senstive, Journaled)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Has it ever worked before with that computer? I'm assuming it has worked with other computers or you wouldn't have been able to put files onto it. ;)

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

This is all backwards, people usually say they can't move files TO the drive lol

hmm.. Is there any weird file names?

Maybe there's a difference between case-sensitive and non-case-sensitive file systems preventing it.

6. chrisjcom macrumors newbie

External drive

Never had the problem if the HD is showing in the desktop. Try seeing if you can add some files from your internal to the external and then op@en them or copy them back to the internal. That should at least allow you to see if it is a giles problem or a hardware problem.

7. awmc thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to move files on and off of it. I had moved files originally off my computer onto the external hard drive, deleted the files on the computer. Now it is those that tell me there is an error -1426 when I try to move or copy them onto the computer, but all others are fine..

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So it's just certain file(s) on the external drive? Sounds like you may have bad sectors...

9. awmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, just certain files.

Bad sectors, you very well could be right, I just haven't the foggiest what it means...

10. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Have you ran "verifiy Disk" in disk utility?

my experience with bad sectors on a pc internal wasn't good. The drive was failing, and also extremely overheated. Had to put it in the fridge lol

I didn't lose much, just a few corrupted music files which I got back thanks to p2p.

11. awmc thread starter macrumors newbie