Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoya1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I just received my brand new iMac: 27" with 1TB of flash storage. It will be replacing my existing iMac, which is a 24" early 2009 with a 1TB old-style HD, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

What's the best way to transfer my files and programs over to the new iMac? I have the old computer backed up with Time Machine. I'm thinking that if I use Time Machine to load all of my old info onto the new computer, that will move the programs in addition to the files, which would be good. But I'm wondering if that would screw up any of the system files of the new iMac? BTW, there is nothing operationally wrong with my current (old) computer; I just wanted to finally upgrade to a faster processor, etc.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
You'll want to use Migration assistant. When you setup your new iMac it will automatically ask you in the setup process if you want to use migration assistant to transfer your data.

Migration assistant will work from a Time Machine backup, another Mac's hard drive connected via target disk mode, or connected via ethernet. Time Machine is probably the simplest.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I've done several migrations using Migration Assistant and an ethernet cable (way faster than WiFi). Works like a champ.

BTW: nice upgrade; that new iMac will leave your old one for dead.

Hoya1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a shot with Migration Assistant using an ethernet cable. I can't wait to get the new one up and running!
But, I have to say, my old iMac has lasted a long time; a good bit longer than I had imagined it would. I've gotten almost 8 years out of it, upgrading operating systems along the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.