Moving files to an External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakeBrattina, May 10, 2011.

1. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

So when I initially purchased my MBP ,I had an old desktop (HP). I purchased an external HD to copy all of my files, mostly music to transfer to my new computer. I had transferred everything successfully, however, now with some new downloads (movies/music), I cannot put anything back to the external HD? When I go to drag it shows the circle with a slash (obviously not allowing the transfer). Any reason why? The hard drive is compatible with both PC and Mac

2. simsaladimbamba

It is using NTFS as file system, which Mac OS X can't write to.

If you will not use that HDD with Windows further, copy all data off the HDD, reformat it using Disk Utility and copy the data back.
    If you will use the HDD with Windows (from XP SP3 onwards), use exFAT as file system, thus copy the data off the HDD and then format it and copy it back.

3. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

So before I erase all of the old Windows based files, I just want to make sure I am reading this tutorial correctly.

It wants me to delete everything that is on the HDD at the moment (meaning I have to put it all on the MacBook first. And then, I will have to re-place it on, while making it a different file?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

What is your hard drive formatted as? If it is NTFS you don't have to reformat it, you can just install ntfs-3g in order to give your mac NTFS read/write capabilities. This has worked great for me and I have been using it for over a year now with no issues.

5. simsaladimbamba

File systems are like languages. The information stays the same, but how it is stored is different. As Mac OS X is not able to write to the format Windows uses (natively, if we talk about NTFS), you either need additional software or you have to change the language of the HDD.
    By doing so, you will not alter the content or the file types.

Anyway, once you have copied all the data of that HDD and performed the re-format and copy the data back, the data will be the same and not be different files.
    If you choose Mac OS Extended as file system, Windows will not be able to read or write to the HDD without additional software.
    If you choose exFAT, Windows and Mac OS X will be able to write and read the HDD.

Here is some information about file systems.

6. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex purchased about a month ago. Not sure what format it runs with to be honest. I will read about all of the formatting in the mean time

7. simsaladimbamba

To find out the format (it will most probably be NTFS, otherwise you would be able to write to it), right click on the HDD icon and select GET INFO and look under FORMAT.

8. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. simsaladimbamba

Okay, now I am confused.
    You are able to read or/and write to the HDD in Mac OS X?
    OR
    You are able to read or/and write to the HDD in Windows?

As the HDD is formatted, you should be able to WRITE to the HDD in Mac OS X, or did I understand you wrong in your first post and you meant, you can't write (copy) to the HDD in Windows?

What does it say under SHARING & PERMISSIONS in the GET INFO window of that HDD?
    [​IMG]

10. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

In all honesty, it has now been converted regardless which is probably why it has read that way. Prior that screenshot however, I was UNABLE to write to the Hard Drive when attempting to drag and drop into the HDD menu.

11. simsaladimbamba

You mean you have used Disk Utility already to re-format the HDD I guess?
    Anyway, you don't seem to have a problem anymore I guess again?

In the meantime, if you haven't clicked on it yet: