moving files to ext. drive rather than copying.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EnZed Mac, Nov 15, 2008.

1. EnZed Mac macrumors newbie

The Apple site gave the following instruction for using an external hard drive -

"To copy files to it, just drag and drop any file, folder, or application onto the volume icon. If you double-click the volume to open it, you can add folders (press Command-Shift-N) to help organize your content."

The problem is, copying files is not saving space on the internal hd, how do I move the files rather than copy them?

The files are mainly music in iTunes and photos in iPhoto.

Any help offered will be appreciated as being new to Mac does have it's problems after years of and ongoing use of PC's.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Well, either you delete the original files after copying or you press CMD while dragging and dropping.

3. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. Little shortcuts make all the difference.

4. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

also, have you tried carbon copy cloner? google it

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

You really can't chalk this problem up to being new to Macs. PCs have the same behavior when copying to external drives.

6. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair comment emt1 but on a PC I really know what I'm doing and do a lot of this type of thing in Explorer windows. Now, whether Mac lovers like to admit it or otherwise, Macs don't come with anything as good as Explorer for the type of job it does.

I feel your comment is nothing more than a cheap shot at PC's and PC users. Unfortunately there are PC users who do the same thing about Macs and, quite frankly, I got no time for it in either direction. Macs are good and PC's are good, they just work differently. You may not like but that is how it is.

Sites like MacRumors Forums and my preferred PC forum, PCPitstop are fantastic sites, where, for no charge, those who need help for whatever reason, are able to get it from people who really know what they are doing. I for one, have appreciated this.

If your comments do nothing to aid someone's inquiry, then they are a waste of time and space.

I suggest you raise the level of your comments to 'helpful'.

Thanks to ergdegdeg and grandmachar2002 for your helpful comments.