Moving files to new user account

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pcgeek12345, Jul 24, 2014.

1. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

After struggling with issues with my account for a while now, I have decided to create a new account in OSX and move all of my files from the my current account into the new one.

Time machine says i don't have access ton the contents of my old account (restoring while logged in as new user).

What would be the best way to do this? I have about 160 GB in my current home folder, and 315 GB free on my HDD.

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

1) Open new account (it seems you already done this part)

2) Make sure the new account is admin.

3) In the new account, open finder, navigate to the old account user folder.

4) Copy the file from there to your new current user folder.

5) Remove the old account.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You won't be able to see one user account from the other normally because of permissions restrictions. You have two ways to go.

There is a folder at /Users/Shared that can be seen from any account. So just login to the old account and move any data you want into a folder in the Shared folder. Then login to the new account and copy it from Shared to wherever you want it.

Or... you can use the trick at the bottom of this page to open Finder with the sudo command and that will allow you access to the old account from the new.

4. pcgeek12345 thread starter macrumors regular

This did the trick, then I just took ownership of the folders and files inside.

Thanks!!!