Moving Files to Second HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sWaltuo, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sWaltuo macrumors regular

I just bought a 27" iMac with the SSD and 2TB HD. I want just my OS and Applications on the SSD. The iMac came configured with all of the user folders also on the SSD. With this folder containing information about my iTunes library, etc. I figured there is a right and a wrong way to move them to the HD. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I believe you can just move the file/folders to the hdd, especially iTunes + iPhoto, etc.

3. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

As far as libraries are concerned (itunes, iphoto, aperture, etc.), you'll need to tell the programs where the libraries are located after you move them, otherwise the programs will make new library files on the SSD. Otherwise, moving files is just a standard drag and drop process.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

First thing you will want to do is copy the User files to the HD. What I did was create a Users folder on the HD. Make sure that you set the permissions of the Users folder on the HD the same as /Users folder on SSD. You will need to open the terminal app and do a "ls -l" and note the owner and group as well as the permissions of the /Users folder and set the new Users directory on the HD accordingly. Once that is done, login as the user and copy the users folder (e.g. /Users/bob) from the SSD to the HD under the Users folder you created on the HD by dragging the logged in users folder (e.g. /Users/bob) from Users on the SSD to Users folder (e.g. /Volumes/My_HD/Users/bob) on the HD.

Next go under System Preferences->Users & Groups, press control while selecting the user account, select Advanced Options... Set the Home Directory field with the path to the users folder (e.g. /Volumes/My_HD/Users/bob) on the HD. The best way to do this is simply drag the Users (/Volumes/My_HD/Users/bob) folder to the Home Directory field.

You will need to set the iTunes and iPhoto library paths by holding down the option key while executing the application. This will give you the option to select where the iTunes or iPhoto library exists.

Once that is done, logout and login to the user and make sure that everything seems to working correctly. When you are satisfied that everything works correctly you can then delete the users folder on the SSD (e.g. /Users/bob).

Something to be aware of, do not delete the /Users folder on the SSD as this is where iTunes stores information. I deleted this and things did not work correctly. I had to call Apple to find this out. The information is hidden.

Hope this helps.

5. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Wow, that was very informative. I didn't know you could do that :) learn something every day here! Thanks.

6. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

7. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect!

Thanks so much.