Moving files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nitro1, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I just got a new hard drive in my mac pro and i am attempting to move the files over to it so i can delete the old drive and reinstall new OS onto it?

I have looked for the solution but i can not seem to find anything. I can't drag and drop because after a while an error happens and the whole process stops and i can't seem to find out why that is happening.

Please help.

THank you

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

If you want to completely transfer the data with the system with the old disk, create an image of the disk using Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Then just restore the image to the new drive.
    Hope this helps you. Good luck!

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to only move the files. I do not need a complete clone of the drive.

Maybe i can do that just to get it done.

4. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

Then write what error?

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Carbon Copy Cloner can copy only files you select. It's not just a whole-disk duplicator.

Choose a source and target, then under Target Disk choose "Incremental backup of selected items" from the Cloning options popup. Select what to copy from the list that appears under Source Disk.

Also, have you partitioned or erased your new HD? Is it in the Mac format or MS-DOS format? If MS-DOS, then no file can be larger than 4 GB, and you won't be able to boot from it.

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK i am trying it right now. So if i wanted to just get my files would you recommend just highlighting my "users' folder, which includes the shared and my account? WOuld that be all i need? I do not need the applications or anything just the files.

Thanks for the help.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If all your files are within the Documents folder that's inside your Home folder, then Documents is all you'd need.