Moving folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Windows Expat, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Windows Expat macrumors member

Windows Expat

I've been a Mac user for almost a year now, and there's one thing that still baffles me...

When I'm drag/dropping a folder into a folder which already contains numerous folders, how do I keep the new one from being added INTO an existing subfolder?

In other words, I want folder A to live in folder B. But folder B already contains folders C, D, and E. I don't want A to get added INTO C, D, or E. But this often happens when I'm dragging folders around.

I'm usually in list view, btw.

Hope that makes sense ;)

2. Windows Expat thread starter macrumors member

Windows Expat

Not exactly. It works if there's empty space in the window, but when there's a long list of folders filling it, I'm not sure where to release to keep it from getting added to a subfolder?

Also, I'm using Safari and your Youtube video wouldn't appear in the reply. I had to open Firefox to see what you linked. Weird?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

when you drag it over the other folder its starts as a full highlight, when that changes to the just the outside line highlight than you can let it go

4. simsaladimbamba

Can this help then? You can scroll up and down the folder list if you go to the top/bottom of the window and then release it on the actual folder.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i dont know youtube is blocked at work, im not on a mac right now was my description way off?

6. simsaladimbamba

I don't think so, I just thought, maybe I misunderstood the OP, and you may have understood, this my visual presentation.
    I guess you mean the blue frame, that appears, when one drags a folder to a place to add it to the main folder.
    [​IMG]

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya correct