Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreatNike

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
I'm curious about any opinions anyone has regarding going from a 15" screen to a 12" screen. I'm open to any opinions good or bad. I'm interested in the 2016 MacBook as my daily driver, but I am coming from a 15" MacBook Pro. The size as an everyday laptop has me a bit concerned.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
I'm trying to do that now... took delivery of the 12" wednesday and i'm struggling to fully switch. I do love how portable the 12" is.

TheGreatNike

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
I'm trying to do that now... took delivery of the 12" wednesday and i'm struggling to fully switch. I do love how portable the 12" is.

Beautiful machine, powerful enough for most, but the size is pushing it. If it was 13.3" it would be a no brainer.

Size aside how are you enjoying the use of it? Everything snappy and smooth?

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
I'm struggling with the 1 USB C port. I want to use it as a complete replacement and I'm worried I will run into issues with just one port. I often spend hours in the data center setting up new equipment where I need to be both powered and connected to ethernet and usually a usb console cable.

The resolution is also hard for me to get past. I run my 15" at 1920x1200. I've went as far as to install QuickRes on my 12" to match the resolution and surprising its not as bad as I would have thought.

As for snappy and smooth. I have no issues there, things seem pretty quick. I have yet to try and boot up a VM on it, thats my next test.

TheGreatNike

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
I'm struggling with the 1 USB C port. I want to use it as a complete replacement and I'm worried I will run into issues with just one port. I often spend hours in the data center setting up new equipment where I need to be both powered and connected to ethernet and usually a usb console cable.

The resolution is also hard for me to get past. I run my 15" at 1920x1200. I've went as far as to install QuickRes on my 12" to match the resolution and surprising its not as bad as I would have thought.

As for snappy and smooth. I have no issues there, things seem pretty quick. I have yet to try and boot up a VM on it, thats my next test.

Great info, I agree that the default resolution would be difficult to use. The single port won't be much of an issue for me, but I am sure at times I would miss multiple ports.

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Moved from 15" to 12" never looking back. If you value portability, the 12" is unbeatable. It's so portable you'd want to take it with you everywhere to do work.

Even at 900*1440 it's pretty usable. Sufficient real estate, and you can pretty much scale anything on OS X from browser zoom levels to text sizes on various apps.

Reactions: TheGreatNike

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Did it a week ago and I couldn't be more satisfied with the switch. It's meant to be temporary to bridge the gap between selling my old MacBook Pro and waiting on the new model, if I didn't need the additional graphics power I would've stayed with the 12" MacBook.

Mind you I'm using the 2015 1.1Ghz model which is definitely the slowest one out there. It might stutter from time to time with animations, but I'm using a Dell P2715Q with HDMI HiDPI 1080p output (MacBook is closed). Didn't think it could handle this as well as it does.

Screen size is no issue either, the fact that it's so much more portable is more important to me. Here's for hoping the 2016 MacBook Pro will be lighter and slimmer.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Went from my 2011 MBP to the 2016 rMB m3 and man I have to say I'm impressed with this machine.

I got the base model as I felt that the extra couple hundred dollars didn't validate a purchase compared to my usage (YouTube/Netflix, web surfing, email, listening to music, etc.)

Reactions: Jetcat3

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I think this debate is most dependent on what you'll be using the laptop for. If you're a student, I think portability becomes more important than most other factors. If you're in the business world, will you be using your computer with an external monitor, etc.? All of that is relevant to the convo.

Personally, I use my 15'' for work and my 12'' for leisure. I hook my 15'' to a monitor and use it as a desktop most days, however when traveling I really do enjoy using the notebook's 15'' screen. I work 8+ hour days using my laptop while traveling, so having the easier to read screen really comes in handy. It's also way better for showing a coworker a file, etc.

I really can't imagine using the 12'' for work-travel purposes...I find myself bending over to read when using my 12'' at a desk for a long time. The device is so small you have a tendency to want to get closer to the screen. I think it'd give me and others neck pain for long term usage. This is why I use my 12'' on the couch or in bed as a leisure, light-lifting device.

It all depends how tall you are, what you're accustomed to, etc. But I think if you are tempted by the rMB OP, go buy one. You have 14 days to decide if it fits your needs or not.

macnewbieee

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
went from 13" early 2015 mbpr to 2016 macbook, it is been 1 day and i love this shinny little maschine! i am in love with this new keyboard, i type faster than normal keyboard! less power for me no big deal. no gaming no editing, just casual user, it is more than enough!

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Last year, I went from a 15" 2013 specced-out rMBP to the 12" MB. I lasted a month before giving it to my sister and switching to a 13" rMBP which I have had since (I found the decrease in power dramatic at the time).

For the last two weeks I have been going back and forth on whether to go back to the 12" MB since it is so light and portable and would save the need of having an iPad (which I have given to my mum as I was going to get an iPad Pro and it is only for research and reading journal articles). I'm at the point of really wanting to pull the trigger but trying to hold off a few more days for WWDC to see if new rMBP's are announced (maybe lighter...).

Thing is, I can get a 12" base model (today only) for $1700 AUD (and I can get rose gold), or I can go with a 2015 base model for $1350 AUD (on sale this week until sold out), or a 12.9" 128GB iPad Pro for $1000 AUD (again, on sale this week) or just keep my rMBP and hold out for WWDC and order myself a 32GB 9.7 iPad Pro. I do not have the option to 'test' these out once bought and could only return if deemed faulty. 32GB storage is more than adequate for me on an iPad, since I only used 2GB on previous iPad.

If I grab an iPad I still need a computer since I need to run IBM SPSS.

I am also considering just staying with 13" rMBP and picking up a 12" Macbook since I would use a keyboard with the iPad anyway. I just love the design and feel of the Macbook!

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
Last year, I went from a 15" 2013 specced-out rMBP to the 12" MB. I lasted a month before giving it to my sister and switching to a 13" rMBP which I have had since (I found the decrease in power dramatic at the time).

For the last two weeks I have been going back and forth on whether to go back to the 12" MB since it is so light and portable and would save the need of having an iPad (which I have given to my mum as I was going to get an iPad Pro and it is only for research and reading journal articles). I'm at the point of really wanting to pull the trigger but trying to hold off a few more days for WWDC to see if new rMBP's are announced (maybe lighter...).

Thing is, I can get a 12" base model (today only) for $1700 AUD (and I can get rose gold), or I can go with a 2015 base model for $1350 AUD (on sale this week until sold out), or a 12.9" 128GB iPad Pro for $1000 AUD (again, on sale this week) or just keep my rMBP and hold out for WWDC and order myself a 32GB 9.7 iPad Pro. I do not have the option to 'test' these out once bought and could only return if deemed faulty. 32GB storage is more than adequate for me on an iPad, since I only used 2GB on previous iPad.

If I grab an iPad I still need a computer since I need to run IBM SPSS.

I am also considering just staying with 13" rMBP and picking up a 12" Macbook since I would use a keyboard with the iPad anyway. I just love the design and feel of the Macbook!

That's what I'm doing. 13" rMBP for most tasks, and then my 12" MB for on the go. I love it

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
That's what I'm doing. 13" rMBP for most tasks, and then my 12" MB for on the go. I love it

I am thinking of doing this, I am just deciding if I should go with the 2015 or 2016 model for the extra $350 AUD.

Oliverhay

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
How is the limitation of ports. I am concerned i'll be in a strange place without my USB-C to normal USB adapter and not be able to transfer files ect?
I'd be interested to hear how your experience goes.
[doublepost=1465366542][/doublepost]
Did it a week ago and I couldn't be more satisfied with the switch. It's meant to be temporary to bridge the gap between selling my old MacBook Pro and waiting on the new model, if I didn't need the additional graphics power I would've stayed with the 12" MacBook.

Mind you I'm using the 2015 1.1Ghz model which is definitely the slowest one out there. It might stutter from time to time with animations, but I'm using a Dell P2715Q with HDMI HiDPI 1080p output (MacBook is closed). Didn't think it could handle this as well as it does.

Screen size is no issue either, the fact that it's so much more portable is more important to me. Here's for hoping the 2016 MacBook Pro will be lighter and slimmer.
What about the keyboard? Is that annoying in any way?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
How is the limitation of ports. I am concerned i'll be in a strange place without my USB-C to normal USB adapter and not be able to transfer files ect?
I'd be interested to hear how your experience goes.
[doublepost=1465366542][/doublepost]
What about the keyboard? Is that annoying in any way?

It's very simple, just imagine a normal keyboard without much travel. Totally useable, you just have to get used to it. I use the Magic Keyboard with my monitor which has less travel than the Wireless Keyboard I had before, but I got used to it. The MacBook has even less travel, but I actually quite like it. People love to hate on new things, but it's all exaggerated in my opinion.

Yesterday I did some 3D CAD in SolidWorks on Windows 10 via Bootcamp and my external monitor. Smooth af, handled rendering not that much different from my MacBook Pro. Granted, I had a fan set right next to the computer for cooling (see image). Looks funny, but it works! (I have not tested CAD without the fan)

Again, I'm going to get a high-end 2016 MacBook Pro, but this MacBook is a very impressive product.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 241

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat as the OP. I spend most of my time on an iPad but realized that I don't do, any, work there, it's all consumption . Was thinking about using the little fella as an iPad replacement because it's sleek as can be compared to the 12.9 iPad Pro. But, it's actually kind of small for OSX. So, I'm unconvinced.

Maybe a 13" at the WWDC?

Oliverhay

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for that feedback :)
I'm also impressed that you can get the macbook with 512Gb SSD, didn't really expect that given the un-configured Air models only go up to 256Gb.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It's very simple, just imagine a normal keyboard without much travel. Totally useable, you just have to get used to it. I use the Magic Keyboard with my monitor which has less travel than the Wireless Keyboard I had before, but I got used to it. The MacBook has even less travel, but I actually quite like it. People love to hate on new things, but it's all exaggerated in my opinion.

Yesterday I did some 3D CAD in SolidWorks on Windows 10 via Bootcamp and my external monitor. Smooth af, handled rendering not that much different from my MacBook Pro. Granted, I had a fan set right next to the computer for cooling (see image). Looks funny, but it works! (I have not tested CAD without the fan)

Again, I'm going to get a high-end 2016 MacBook Pro, but this MacBook is a very impressive product.

What fan is behind the macbook?

kvyoung

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2015
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
2012 15" rMBP to 2015 rMB 12

I rarely use my rMBP anymore and when I do I wonder how I handled the heat from it for the last 3 years. I love the portability and size of the MacBook. I've worked on 12" - 12.5" laptops most of my life and you just become accustomed to the smaller size. I have owned a ton of different laptops and the rMB is my favorite so far.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
What fan is behind the macbook?

It doesn't really have branding, it's just a cheap "table fan" with "rubber blades for safety". I believe it's being sold under multiple names and it's very common. Got it from Gamma, Netherlands (like Home Depot?). Mooi hé? ;)

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I forgot all about my 15 inch but when I do pull it out, I notice its much snappier than the 12 inch. But its only a notice when I pull it out. I feel fine with the 12. Its a real laptop that goes on your lap or any other odd position without a table. I guess the best way to describe these things is that its great for most things but when you need real power for career photos or videos and big projects, a non laptop big monitor and power processor is the right choice. I think I would keep this 12 inch and get a Mac Pro for the big stuff. the 15 inch or an iMac is an in-between device that tries to do it all but does neither perfect. The 12 replaced the iPads, and my other apple stuff for 95% of the things i do. Even reading books and taking notes is better on the 12 inch than the iPads. its just a faster process for me.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Just moved from a 2015 rMBP 15" to the 2016 M3 MB.
I can notice it has less muscles but I'm just a casual user anyway. This is perfect when sitting in the couch, so light and don't get warm.
The MBP is perfect at a desk but got too heavy and warm in the couch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.