Moving from 1st Gen Air to new 15" MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Y2JDMBFAN, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Guys,

When the new models were announced a few weeks ago I almost immediately was sold on the new Macbook. I ordered a 2.4 online and had it the next day. I wanted something with more power and graphical abilities. However the screen was nowhere near as good as my MBA screen. I might as well have kept my 1st gen air except I liked the idea of the new graphics chipset and power over the Air and also the upgradable hard drive and RAM. I returned the Macbook to a local Apple store today and swapped it for the 2.53GHz with no restocking fee. However I haven't opened it yet, if I do and decide to return I am out $250 this time. I am not sure if I should just wait till next Tuesday and get the high-end Air on release or go with the Pro. I mainly use my existing MBA to browse the Internet, stream movies/TV with my Slingbox, watch movies, do some document creation and some gaming. For the money it seems like the Pro is a better deal, but I am worried about the size and weight coming from the Air. Anyone else have experiences with both?

Thanks,

Y2J

2. warlun macrumors member

I moved from a first gen MBA to a 2.53ghz MBP because of the need of more power for work.
    Although I miss my MBA for the portability and screen, I really do like the new MBP alot. I was always very careful of my MBA with its heat/ slowdown problems, and never felt it was a laptop for full on use (esp. with streaming videos etc...)
    I recently bought an eee pc at a fraction of the price of the air to handle my streaming videos and internet/ portability needs and although it is nowhere near as good and polished as the MBA - compromises had to be made.
    In an utopian world I would have kept the MBA and bought the new MBP, but unfortunately I had to sell the MBA to fund the new MBP.
    Therefore, if you were to give up the $250 restocking fee to apple, I suggest you buy a netbook, keep the MBP and get the best of both worlds.

3. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a Dell XPS M1710 for work, the MBA that I currently have is for personal use 99% of the time, and I do some web browsing, stream movies/TV with my Slingbox, watch movies with VLC Player, do some document creation and some gaming. I still haven't opened the Pro yet, and still have my MBA for sale. I am pretty certain I will end up with the Pro or 2nd Gen MBA as I have my first gen MBA for sale. I just don't want to waste $250 when the 2nd Gen MBA and Pro are already $2499. I guess the only way to see if the size difference is a big enough deal to warrant going with the 2nd Gen MBA is to open the Pro and find out...Decisions, decisions...

Y2J

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

How often will you be taking the macbook with you? It all depends on your usage. My friend has a macbook pro which he takes with him everywhere, and he finds it a little heavy. I am thinking of getting the macbook pro to replace my white macbook, and since I will be using it inside my home 90% of the time I should be fine. Although like you, I have had concerns in case portability is an issue.

So again, it depends on your usage. I really don't like the netbooks, they seem like a good idea but they feel like junk and they just frustrate me after using it for a short while.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The temptation to open that new MBP would kill me...

Come on, open it. You know you want to.:D

6. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

I usually carry the MBA that I have with me everywhere, but I don't necessarily bring it outside of the car when I go shopping and what not, generally just bring it in to work, the girlfriend's place, and friend's places...Also use it in the car occasionally to look stuff up, I try not to do that while driving of course...

Y2J

7. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Sounds like you should be fine with the MBP. I mean, it's gonna be bigger and heavier than the Air... but you're not lugging it around all the time in a shoulder bag or trying to cram it into carry-on bags for airplanes from the sounds of things. I think from car to house etc the MBP is fine. You will probably enjoy the bigger screen real estate and the beefier performance more than the better portability in your case.