Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsquared

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I am thinking of moving from my current mac pro 2.66 2 dual core to a macbook pro 13inch or 15inch (leaning to 13 for the smaller foot print) and no not using a netbook. The specs are 5GB ram 750 GB HD and an 8800GT video card.
I have edited video using premiere as well as photo shop and the fotomagico creation. Will the macbook pro be able to keep up.

I am considering the switch to become more mobile since I have been using my work laptop more (which is not a good thing) and not sitting as much at the desktop.
I still want to be able to do the same things but in a portable package.

thoughts?

lickitysplit

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
I don't edit video so I can't tell you exactly but I think you'd be better off with the base 15" at least. I almost got the 13" this time around but I sure am glad I didn't.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You're effectively cutting your processing power in half, especially with the 13", so it probably won't be able to keep up as well as you like.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
You're effectively cutting your processing power in half, especially with the 13", so it probably won't be able to keep up as well as you like.

not really, the Xeons in the '06 MP use very old architecture...

...but the Core 2 CPUs in the 13" MBPs aren't really an improvement, and the loss of cores won't help. you'll want a Nehalem/Westmere-based CPU (i3/5/7), which at this point means 15".

there might be some benchmarks on BareFeats comparing the new MBPs to the MP 1,1.

gsquared

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
ok so a 15 with the newer chips may be comparable to what i have now? hmm that seems to be a possibility.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
not really, the Xeons in the '06 MP use very old architecture...

...but the Core 2 CPUs in the 13" MBPs aren't really an improvement, and the loss of cores won't help. you'll want a Nehalem/Westmere-based CPU (i3/5/7), which at this point means 15".

there might be some benchmarks on BareFeats comparing the new MBPs to the MP 1,1.

I just checked on geekbench, and you're right, the i5/i7 MBPs are comparable to the MP 1,1 and the i7 beats it in fact. The C2D do lag behind a bit, so you would take a bit of a hit in performance there (approx. 30% with the 2.66GHz model according to the benchmarks) That also doesn't include the slower HDD speeds. So if you want to go MBP, I'd go 15" i7, 7200 RPM HDD

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Went from a MP 8 core w/ 20GB of ram to the 15 MBP i7 8 GB of ram ... was a huge difference but I knew that there would be going into it. Even though some of the benchmarks suggest the i5 15 and your MP is very similar in speeds I would suspect the MP would take a little bit of a lead.

I can tell you that I am happy with the i7 ... It could use a little more zing so I am looking into a SSD now. Whatever you do pay attention to the Back to Mac event tomorrow. Who knows maybe they will update the MBP's.

Good luck!

gsquared

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks everyone..gonna look into the trade value with tekserve. Hopefully it wont cost to much to bump up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.