Moving from 3GS to the next iPhone...questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npep, Aug 20, 2011.

1. npep macrumors member

So, I have moved from ATT to Verizon and want to get the next iPhone when it comes out. Couple of questions for those who are much smarter than me:

1. Will my data transfer when I get the new iPhone? I read that there were some issues between ATT and Verizon due to software.

2. Any reason to keep my ATT iPhone before I get the new one on Verizon or could I go ahead and sell it?

I really just want to make sure I have all my data and don't want to lose a thing...

Thanks in advance!

By the way, I was using a Balckberry Storm 2 (hated it) on Verizon and I am now using a Palm Pixi Plus on Verizon...much better, but still not the same as the iPhone.

2. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

By data, if you're referring to apps, pictures, etc. on your ATT iPhone, then just make a back-up through iTunes.

3. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Iirc you cannot transfer backups from At&t to Verizon iPhones (I may be wrong on this one). Not that you would want to anyways. To avoid any conflicts, you usually should restore from new whenever you upgrade your hardware or major software. In this case it's both.

No reason to keep At&t iPhone unless you want a phone to be used overseas assuming it's unlocked.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sort answer, NO not today!

You can only restore a backup of your iPhone data to an iPhone with the same iOS level. So today, since AT&T and Verizon are at different levels it does not work.

What data do you want off your AT&T iPhone?

You should already have moved your contacts, and your music already on your computer to sync to the Verizon iPhone. Your apps will also be available via the iTunes App Store. Are your SMS Txt messages really that important?

If you really want to move your data, keep your AT&T iPhone and wait for iOS 5, upgrade it and then backup and restore to your Verizon iPhone also at iOS 5.

Dave

5. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

iOS5 will be out before iPhone 5 is anyway.

6. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Keep your 3GS until you get your new one and sell it on craigslist or eBay

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

^^ this. It will only be worth one or two hundred either way so you could also just keep it as a backup, iPod, or give it to a relative.

8. npep thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for all the answers...I just need my contacts, cal, apps, etc...I guess I do not really need a full back-up.

As for selling, I think I am going to sell it now, before the market gets really flooded with 3GS and 4's...