Moving from a mid 2011 iMac?

Sue De Nimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I am thinking of upgrading my mid 2011 27" iMac.

First of all I was hoping to get an idea from people what it is worth if I sell it?

I bought it June 2012 and it has Applecare on it. It has pretty much the highest spec available at the time.

2GB Radeon 6970M
3.4Ghz i7

I think it was about £2300 at the time. What would I get for that today? (I am in the UK so would appreciate estimates in £)

I am thinking of getting one of the new 27" iMacs. How bad a time is it to buy one now? When I bought my current iMac I had been waiting for about 6 months and then Apple launched new models 3months later.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much of an improvement I will see as well in frame rates with either the 775M or 780M in Bootcamp? I do play quite a few games under bootcamp.


macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
I'd look on ebay for an idea of price, and check out benchmarks on reviews for the 775 and 780m and see how they fair for 1140p gaming.

If you are struggling with gaming performance on what you have now, I don't think you are going to be blown away by the performance of the current iMac. You may want to look at a base-spec nMP with D700's as it supports crossfire in Windows. Yes it's a lot more expensive, but if you plan on keeping the machine for a while and you only want a single machine then it's best way to go in my opinion.

The other options are to swap your iMac for a Mini and get a PC/console for gaming.


macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been upgrading my Mac and selling my old one every ~2 years for some time now and find that I typically get 50-60% back of what I paid for it (including AppleCare remaining). This is typically done in person on Craigslist and not eBay.

As an example, I sold my mid-2010 iMac --- purchased for $1999...quad-core model --- for $1,150 2 years later. Sometimes it can be hard to recoup the cost of the BTO upgrades you chose because many people looking to buy used Macs are looking for a deal more than high-end specs. Hope this helps.


macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
I finally just sucked it up and ordered a 27" to replace my "Early 2009" 24-inch. It looks like the next major update is going to be no earlier than 2015 at absolute best so it seems like a decent time to buy. The "Early 2009" models are still selling for $600-700 on Craigslist. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to keep my 24" Cinema Display yet or not, but they're still selling for north of $400, if you can find them.