Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Can you get turn by turn directions on google maps now? Plus all that nice 3d stuff?

Also is there an app to turn on Bluetooth automatically when you get in your car, or when you plug your car charger/charger in?

bit of an oddball but someone might know, is there any decent and reliable ssh apps for connecting to Linux servers?

Does opera mini work well for slow 2g connections, does their app compress the data?

I will really miss the gmail app. I'm one of those people that loves the thread grouping and filters that the gmail android app gives. That will be the thing I miss the most as my mobile is a big mobile email device for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
No you will need to find a 3rd party nav app for turn by turn. I do imagine this might come in ios6.

Bluetooth is only turned on and off trough the settings menu.

iSSH works great.

Safari in iOS5 is pretty fast. Not sure that you would need another browser.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Google Maps has basic routing functionality but not a turn-by-turn with voice prompts type thing like a dedicated GPS nav device. There are many third party apps providing GPS navigation functionality, I use the free Navfree GPS when travelling (I have built in navigation in my car).

Don't know about bluetooth control apps, but I've not seen a need to do anything but leave it on. BT connects automatically when I start my car. I don't experience any battery issues, so have had no need to turn BT on/off.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Blue tooth uses very little power when not being used. Mine stays on constantly and it has no effect on the battery. I think it "sleeps" well and uses little power unless it is in use.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Sorry, title should have said, moving from android....

Can you get turn by turn directions on google maps now? Plus all that nice 3d stuff?

Also is there an app to turn on Bluetooth automatically when you get in your car, or when you plug your car charger/charger in?

bit of an oddball but someone might know, is there any decent and reliable ssh apps for connecting to Linux servers?

Does opera mini work well for slow 2g connections, does their app compress the data?

I will really miss the gmail app. I'm one of those people that loves the thread grouping and filters that the gmail android app gives. That will be the thing I miss the most as my mobile is a big mobile email device for me.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you switch?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
If you don't mind me asking, what made you switch?

Np

My nexus one broke, I was going to hold out until the iPhone 5 but the decision was made for me.

I bought the nexus the day it launched and it was quite fully featured back then, hence choosing it over the 3GS or possibly the 4. However now, ios5 has progressed nicely, I love apple stuff, it works wonderfully along with my iPad and MacBook air.

I would have waited but even if android released a ground breaking phone when i would have been ready to change (end of next summer i suspect) I would probably still go apple for its simplicity and beautiful mode of operation.

In reetrospect, perhaps I fooled myself into believing I needed the extra functionality and control android gives. Being a techie gadget lover at heart. As it turns out, the most important thing to me is a device that fuctions the best is can as a phone, SMS, email and Internet device. The iPhone does this better with ios5 than most other phones. I works simply and intuitively, without distraction. The fact that it also does music well and iTunes match is imminent is a massive bonus. I think I got caught up in the flash debate too. Not once in 2 years have I ever played a flash game and all videos I watch on my iPad are supported.

And thank you to all who posted answers!

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Like your answer, I use flash as soon as it was available for my phone (Evo 4g) but was too choppy and hated it , I prefer HTML 5 without :)

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA

i love the gmail converstation style. the iphone will group your messages but they don't include your replies :( better than nothing i guess.. i believe filters are treated as folders. don't really use them personally.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
How does Waze compare to MapQuest? I use Mapquest and like it a lot! And it's free.

Waze can honestly compete with paid GPS applications in the App Store. They are currently adding more features. Its WAY better than Mapquest.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Google Maps has basic routing functionality but not a turn-by-turn with voice prompts type thing like a dedicated GPS nav device. There are many third party apps providing GPS navigation functionality, I use the free Navfree GPS when travelling (I have built in navigation in my car).

Don't know about bluetooth control apps, but I've not seen a need to do anything but leave it on. BT connects automatically when I start my car. I don't experience any battery issues, so have had no need to turn BT on/off.

Google Maps does have turn by turn with voice prompts.

See here: http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/

It's been out for 2 years.

Last edited:

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Np

My nexus one broke, I was going to hold out until the iPhone 5 but the decision was made for me.

I bought the nexus the day it launched and it was quite fully featured back then, hence choosing it over the 3GS or possibly the 4. However now, ios5 has progressed nicely, I love apple stuff, it works wonderfully along with my iPad and MacBook air.

I would have waited but even if android released a ground breaking phone when i would have been ready to change (end of next summer i suspect) I would probably still go apple for its simplicity and beautiful mode of operation.

In reetrospect, perhaps I fooled myself into believing I needed the extra functionality and control android gives. Being a techie gadget lover at heart. As it turns out, the most important thing to me is a device that fuctions the best is can as a phone, SMS, email and Internet device. The iPhone does this better with ios5 than most other phones. I works simply and intuitively, without distraction. The fact that it also does music well and iTunes match is imminent is a massive bonus. I think I got caught up in the flash debate too. Not once in 2 years have I ever played a flash game and all videos I watch on my iPad are supported.

And thank you to all who posted answers!

Amen. I just did the same, though I got my Nexus Repaired (again) an its now on E-Bay. Hopefully to make enough to pay the $199 this 4s cost me.

I have a Garmin device in both my cars so I do not miss turn by turn on the Nexus, it was never as nice as the dedicated unit but I will check out this Waze app, sound interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.