Moving from Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geoff5093, Sep 21, 2015.

1. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I've been an Android user for many years, and pre-ordered the 6s 64GB. Since I've been with Android for years, all my services are tied with Google such as contacts, calendar, email, Google Voice w/ Hangouts, etc.

What should I expect when moving to iOS this Friday? I do love being able to use Google services as their web-based calendar and contacts are great. Can I continue to use them and sync my contacts and calendar with my new iPhone? I remember reading something about setting up a CalDev account. I also use Google Voice with hangouts and not my carrier number for SMS and calls, but I plan to move that back, but will I be able to receive calls and texts by downloading Hangouts on iOS?

I'm really just looking for what I should expect when I get my new iPhone, and if there are any major issues I'll run into. Thanks!

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Check out the Apple "move to iOS" app in the Play store. Ignore the 1 star ratings. That is a good start to migrate things over. You can use the Google services but of course the integration is not the same. But yes, I use Google calendar and Hangouts (no texts for some reason) for calls. Transferring contacts from Google/Gmail is easy. Again, start with the Apple app and then see what is needed/missing for your needs.

3. geoff5093 thread starter macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I have that app on my phone already actually, but I wasn't sure if it would just one time import contacts/calendar to Apple's services, or it would allow me to continue to sync between the two.

4. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Expect some goofiness with iMessages, Facetime and other iphone to iphone services. I dunno, my messages all sent as texts for a while until AT&T sorted something out. Might be AT&T specific, but other iPhones didn't see me as an iPhone for a while.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

calendar for me was easy - enter your gmail and it instantly syncs.
    contacts - I backed up to Gmail and then imported from there though I think the app does this smoother.
    hangouts - no texts. But I also have unlimited carrier texting plus use Viber/Whatsapp.
    For iMessage: settings - messages - send & receive. Here you can switch it to your phone number or leave as your email. I also enable "send as sms".

If you want a 2nd "business" line (I do as I dont like giving out my number), check out Convoi. But I think your Google number does the same stuff.

6. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I switched from an S4 to a 6 Plus and found it that if your heavily vested in google apps, moving to an iPhone isn't without its annoyances. Contacts and Gmail transferred over okay (I use the Gmail app) but the Google calendar app looks horrid and doesn't display a monthly snapshot of your schedule like my old S4 did. Syncing it with the default calendar app on the iPhone works okay but sometimes it takes a while to update with newly added tasks and appointments.

Apple is really pushing its Maps app over Google Maps. There doesn't seem to be a way to set Google Maps as default, so you'll have to manually copy and paste directions every time. This becomes really annoying when mapping out places from Yelp.

I've never used Hangouts with anything other than my carrier and number and, for that, it works fine.

7. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

What all the others have said is pretty straightforward stuff; gmail account syncs a lot of stuff over. For the iOS version hangouts there is an option in settings to show your SMS and voicemail in the app itself. I haven't tried it, but it's there for you. My google voice number calls all come through just fine, and the most of my friends just use hangouts to message me vs my google voice number now anyways.

8. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I have a Note 5 and iPhone 6 Plus (6s Plus coming on Friday) and switch between them weekly or just whenever.
    If you have all of your contacts and calendar on Google then just sync with these services. That is what I do.
    Can't help you with Hangouts. I never have used it....sorry.
    Some things you will love about an iPhone.
    TouchId is awesome
    IOS keyboard is the best I have ever used.
    You will love the look and feel of the iphone and build quality.
    Battery life is awesome.

9. geoff5093 thread starter macrumors 68000

geoff5093

For the contacts and calendar piece, you have your Google account sync with your iPhone so any contacts or events you create on either phone are in sync correct? How did you set this up? Was it some special CalDav account, just add a Google account, or do you need the dedicated Google apps?

10. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I use both iPhone and android. I use the "calengoo" app on both devices and sync back and forth to Google.

11. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge+ and my iPhone 6+ (getting replaced this Friday by a 6s+) and Hangouts for both messaging and receiving calls from my Google Voice (now Project Fi) number works fine on the iPhone.

Good luck and have fun! :)

12. Asharus macrumors member

One other thing, gmail won't push emails to you.

13. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I didn't create a CalDev account. I just set my address book and calendar to use Google for those services in iTunes and again on the device.
    So I have all Macs at my house. I have a iMac, MBP, ipad and iphone......all using Google for address book and calendar. I can make a change and it all gets replicated to all my devices

14. flur macrumors 68000

This is what I do also. No need to set up anything with Apple, just add your google accounts in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings and choose what you want to sync.

You'll also want to make sure to set your default calendar to your google one so that all new appointments you make are made on that calendar.

EDIT:
    You don't need google apps - it will work either way.

15. flur macrumors 68000

This depends on what mail app you use, and if your accounts are straight gmail or "for business".

16. Asharus macrumors member

i see. in my case its for a personal gmail account using the stock mail app.

17. flur macrumors 68000

Yeah, that mix means no push.

Google Apps accounts have push, even in the stock app. And there are some pretty nice apps out there that will give you push notification on all gmail accounts - I like CloudMagic.

18. geoff5093 thread starter macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I just ported my number from Google Voice back to Verizon, so that will be one less hassle!

19. MasterRattler macrumors member

I have a 5s & iPad Air2 and preordered 6splus and use all those google services. Under, "Mail,contact, calendars" in settings you have the option to sign into your Google account for for contacts and calendar. I like to use the gmail app for my gmail. Once you sign into the gmail app it will automatically sign you into hangouts app too if you have it downloaded from the App Store. You also have the option to save new contacts to iCloud or goggle I save mines in goggle because it's easier to use goggle on Apple products vs apple products on Google

20. slstein, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

slstein macrumors newbie

Just curious which service you use to be able to do this?
    I have a Note 5 and want to get a 6S Plus and switch between them, same way you are doing.
    AT&T tech told me each time you switch the sim card, the phone will work but the data needs to be reset in their system otherwise you can't receive data?
    Thoughts?

21. slstein macrumors newbie

Just curious which service you use to be able to do this?
    I have a Note 5 and want to get a 6S Plus and switch between them, same way you are doing.
    AT&T tech told me each time you switch the sim card, the phone will work but the data needs to be reset in their system otherwise you can't receive data?
    Thoughts?

22. rugmankc, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have the stock and google apps for calendar and mail. They all sync. For personal you will have no issues. I gave up Hangouts only bc mostly all my family uses iMessage. My one son still with an S4 uses Signal-Private Messenger with me. No regrets on moving to iPhone, just for the ecosystem for the family. Sharing, Handoff, Airdrop etc. The new 6s/6s+ are going to be fantastic with the new processor etc.

23. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I get you like your case. Not sure what that has to do with this thread. ;)

24. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

If you have google apps for work, gmail does push emails. the connection is not imap, but rather exchange.

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Seeing how the item in question is still in the auction phase, the poster has posted the link several times in the forum and joined MacRumors today, I'm gonna take a wild guess and opine that he/she is spamming their auction.