Moving from Apple's mail to outlook

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by iamnotme, Feb 26, 2016.

1. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

It pains me to do this but the built-in mail program is crap and I have an office 365 account so I want to move to using Outlook 2016

The question is.... Can someone tell me the file path to where the messages are actually stored en El Cap?
    I want to delete them manually because the account in question is an exchange account and when I hit delete it also deletes from the server even if the option to leave on server is selected which I want to avoid. Not sure if it matters I'm running 10.11.4 (15E39d)

Thanks

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you delete the Exchange account in System Preferences>Internet Accounts your mail will not be deleted from the server, as you know.

Mail is in a hidden folder in your User Account folder. File Path: ~/Library/Mail/

3. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I also have an Office 365 account and using Mail. Could you elaborate as to why you think it's crap? Just curious as I have no probs with the Mail app. Does Outlook 2016 have features that Mail does not?

4. Ishayu macrumors regular

Ishayu

I believe deleting the mail account also cleans up cached e-mails, which is probably what you want. Either do that, or I can confirm that BrianBaughn's solution works.

Anyway, what's so crap about it? Serious question. I use the built-in exchange support on iOS and OS X and I am currently working in a consultancy firm that's doing a collaboration with Microsoft, and they put literally EVERYTHING on Exchange and Lync and whatnot. It's almost crazy how much I rely on Exchange and Microsoft Office right now, which I don't normally do, and the built in support works fine for me. The only problem I have is that Skype for Business sucks the big one on iOS.

Meetings work, places work, invitations work, calendar works, e-mail works, it's encrypted, it's secure. Seriously, what's the problem?