Moving from Canada to the UK with an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Shnell, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Shnell macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Apologies if there actually is a post about this already. I have found a few sort of similar, but not specific to my situation exactly.

So I have an iPhone 4 (on contract with Telus if that makes a difference). I currently live in Canada and will be moving to England sometime around Feb next year. If I buy out/cancel my contract with Telus, is there any way I can activate my phone to O2 or something once I'm moved? I'd hate to buy an entirely new iPhone just because I moved.

Thanks for your help!

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I heard from several UK members on this board that the O2 carrier does unlock your phone. I don't remember if this is a free service or a $15 charge.

3. Shnell thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, so looks like unlocking it through them is gonna be my only option. The whole unlocking process is a tad confusing, but basically do they handle all that, then I can subscribe to their services as a regular customer?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Dont Think

That o2 is your only option here. Tmobile (C*** in the uk) would do it, in fact Orange, Vodaphone et al. They all want you on a data plan, so will unlock for you.

Comes down to choice, but I have been with o2 for years and the service is great.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I understood that only the carrier its on would unlock the iPhone for you for a charge.

Then after getting the info on unlocking you hook it upto iTunes with the alternative sim in and the unlock is completed.

If the iPhone is not on the uk networks then I'm not sure they would carry out the unlock for you. Yes they want your custom and would readily supply a micro sim. I would strongly suggest you ring/email or live chat with one of the uk carriers your interested in.

My iPhone is locked to 02 and I know if I asked vodafone to unlock it they would decline and refer me back to the original carrier.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you've paid to opt out of your contract they may unlock for $50

Depending on the contract it might be simply cheaper to sell your iPhone 4 on Red Flag Deals and buy a new phone in the UK.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Can't your current provider unlock you when you end the contract?

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

His original post says he's moving from Canada to the Uk.

His current carrier is not available in the uk.

He would have to buy out the remainder of his contract and then request the unlock process.
    I don't see his carrier just cancelling his contract because he is moving overseas as that's his decision.

Another option would be to allow a family member or friend to take over his contract in Canada and he unlocks his iPhone 4 in the Uk via jailbreak.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Don't the Canadian carriers allow one to purchase an unlock at the end of a contract? I know I've read of accounts from other people who got a carrier unlock. What's to stop the op from doing the same?