Moving from desktop iTunes to Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by warp9, Mar 9, 2018.

1. warp9 macrumors regular

warp9

I recently picked up an apple tv 4k and vizio 4k tv to transition my media watching from the computer to the living room. I've been watching iTunes purchases on mac and pc for years. I have an 'unwatched' playlist where I see what to watch next.

On the apple tv, I cannot find a way to see what episodes and movies I haven't watched yet. They are all dumped into one place called 'Library'. I have unwatched episodes scattered across years worth of purchases, so 'recents' doesn't help. I have only itunes purchases, so home sharing is not relevant.

Am I asking too much to expect the apple tv to behave like desktop itunes?

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Home Sharing on, and Computers app on ATV will show you the unwatched movies and episodes. Maybe it is relevant.

3. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

On ATV4 (not 4K), and latest Dev Beta, I see an unwatched category in the sidebar when I launch the "Computers" app. This i akin to the Unwatched tab in iTunes.

But, if you go into a folder of movies, such as your Unwatched Playlist, there is no distinction. This is true in iTunes as well as ATV.

So, on ATV, when you launch the Computers app, simply open the Unwatched category.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Apple dropped the "unwatched" category from the Movies and TV Shows apps recently (tvOS 11.0, I believe). Perhaps there were planning to replace it with a function in the TV app, but that hasn't happened either. I think this is a big mistake on their part and hope they'll bring it back.

5. warp9, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

warp9 thread starter macrumors regular

warp9

I tried the Home Sharing route but it just has music listed. I assumed the Computer app was only for non-itunes store and non-drm media.

EDIT:
    I think I found the problem. I have only music downloaded. All the movies and tv shows stream from icloud. Testing it now.

EDIT2:
    Yeah, that was it. So I guess now I get to download everything and deal with the hassle of dive storage again. I may send this apple tv back and keep a laptop connected to the tv.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Hi Warp9,
    Your Apple TV can play all of your iTunes purchased films & TV shows straight from the Apple iCloud. That's how the Apple TV is designed. You don't need to download anything :)

7. warp9 thread starter macrumors regular

warp9

Yes, I see I can do that straight from 'Library', but Computers will not show media that hasn't been downloaded first.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68040

You need to look into Movies app, not Computers, to see all your iTunes Purchases directly from the cloud.

9. LCC0256 macrumors member

Warp I discovered the same thing as you. I purposely left my music and movies/tv shows in the cloud instead of on my MacBook Pro to save space. (something I FORGOT I did until I was on my Apple TV - computers app - with home sharing on of course - and did not see any movies on my MacBook Pro. That is when I realized/remembered they were not on my MacBook Pro hard drive - but in iCloud.

I am ASSUMING there is no downside to storing movies/shows in iCloud other than not being able to play those movies unless I have have internet connection. I am not sure of the reasons for having multiple back ups for TV Shows and movies purchased from iTunes. As I understand it the DRM would prohibit using them on any other devices other than those associated with my iCloud account. I would appreciate someone explaining this to me as it has always confused me.

Since I have an iMac and use it as my master music library (iTunes) I saw no need to keep my music on my MacBook Pro.