Moving from Frontpage to iWeb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kimberleyallen, Apr 20, 2011.

1. kimberleyallen macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    Last year I built the website http://www.charlese.co.uk for my daughter using Frontpage. It's quite a simple site but never the less it took me ages! Then my Laptop completely died and I bought a MacBook Pro. The move from Windows has been a bit of a learning curve but I love my new Mac. I still have lots to learn though!

I have a couple of problems.
    Firstly I cannot now edit the site and so need to do it again on my MacBook. I have had a play with iWeb but have discovered that you can't enter keywords etc which I understand will mean that her site won't be found by search engines. At present if you type in 'Charlese' to Google her site comes up first and obviously I don't want that to alter.

Secondly I use Reverbnation widgets for her music which are great as we can see how many 'plays' and 'downloads' she has had. But they don't work on iPhones/iPads. So I thought I would create an additional page for iPhone/iPad users with straight forward links to the music files but I have read that you can create an iPhone friendly site that will automatically load if the visitor is using that device, a kind of 'app' version. I have absolutely no idea how to do that though!

Can anyone suggest an easy to use Mac software that would help me solve these problems. The trial version software that I have looked at so far has baffled me! Or is there any other advice you could offer?

If anyone is good enough to reply please bear in mind that this is a 50 year old 'blonde' so don't be too technical! :)

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I would personally step up from iWeb to Rapidweaver, it's a far more versatile tools IMHO. You'll get a far smaller and easier to maintain site.

3. kimberleyallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if you can build mobile friendly sites with RapidWeaver. I have searched and so far it seems you have to install other software like Nimblesoft's Mobilize and then purchase further themes. Is this right...I am getting very confused!

4. kimberleyallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I've downloaded RapidWeaver but it doesn't seem to allow you to create your own theme. There is an iPhone theme so that would enable me to create a mobile version of the site but I can't find how to recreate the site that I have at the moment, and am quite happy with. Can anyone help?! :confused:

5. kimberleyallen thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad: I have spent most of last night and all day today trying to get my head around Rapid Weaver! I think I must be particularly 'blonde' as I can't make it do what I want it to do! I want to recreate my daughter's website and would prefer to start off with a blank page and create my own design but that doesn't seem possible, you HAVE to have a damn theme. I have tried customising themes, to no avail. Anyone out there got any suggestions?!

6. ezekielrage_99, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You can create/edit your own themes, if you do a search in Google it will come up with some very good 3rd party themes not to mention the how tos.

I'd also recommend trying this http://support.realmacsoftware.com/kb/basics-of-rapidweaver/useful-links and this http://www.rapidweavercentral.net/themes/rapidweaver_themes.php

It's not hard just as long as you know a bit HTML and CSS.