Moving from Fusion to Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cutcopypaste, Jan 23, 2009.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I have set up a Windows XP virtual machine on my MacPro but I want to also get it into Bootcamp so i can try playing some of my PC Games. Is there anyway I can keep the files/settings I have with my Virtual Machine, or do I basically have to start from scratch? and then, if i can do something here, how? :p

2. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

any takers? Do I have to do a completely clean windows install on the bootcamp drive or can I somehow copy over the virtual machine? people said the latter could be done when I was reading around here, but I wanna know for sure.

3. dimme macrumors 65816

I think you must do a clean install. As far as I know there is no way to import you windows install. I have tried to do it with Ghost but the efi bois keeps getting in the way.
    Good Luck

4. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Could you do make a clone of the VM (possible WinClone?) and then make restore that image to a bootcamp partition?

5. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

hmm.. that sounds like it could work. but i believe they use different drivers and things so I dunno how smooth that would go. I don't even really know how to get at my files inside that virtual machine.. i've found it on the mac harddrive but it ain't accessible.