Moving from iPhoto to Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AtomicEdge, Jun 10, 2011.

1. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

I currently have my photo library on my MacBook, but I want to put a small SSD in my MacBook for some fast surfing, so have to find a new home for my pictures.

I have a Windows 7 PC that has big drives and a backup solution, so I would like to start storing my pictures on there.

Anyway, what is the best way to get my images out of iPhoto and into a folder structure that makes some kind of sense?

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Go to ~/pictures , secondary click on iPhoto Library, click on Show Package Contents and copy your Masters folder to other computer. The structure of Masters folder is a little bit complicated, but it is really well organized.

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

FYI Adobe Lightroom is a lot like iPhoto if you want something to iPhoto once you migrate the pictures.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

But be prepared to spend a little bit of time, trying to organize it back into a normal folder hierarchy. Since Apple is an open source Unix based operating system, it's naturally d**n near impossible to migrate OUT of OS X and back to anything else. At least, easily.

I've seen people mention using an Apple script to try to export photos based off of events or faces, because it's just so complex.