Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetortilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Japan is 110 V, China 220. I guess I'll need a transformer for my two external hd's (they only go to 120V). Would a transformer be cheaper or can I buy new power supplies.

This is for a new Mac Mini that goes from 110-220 V. Sorry it's not strictly a 'mac' question.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
look closely at the power supplies i'm guessing that somewhere on them they say "90-240 VAC 50/60 Hz" on them.
That means they'll run on the power anywhere in the world, you just need to adapt the plug so it fits in the outlet.
I haven't seen any power supplies recently that aren't like this.

so something like this from amazon in the US, about $5 US or 385 yen will do the trick.
just get a power strip that has matching plugs on it, and you'll be set to go.

parasitius

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Japan is 110 V, China 220. I guess I'll need a transformer for my two external hd's (they only go to 120V). Would a transformer be cheaper or can I buy new power supplies.

This is for a new Mac Mini that goes from 110-220 V. Sorry it's not strictly a 'mac' question.

Jp is the only country retarded enough (AFAIK) to sell USB harddrives without a universal 110-220v adapter. Had the same trouble myself.

In the future I recommend buying your USB hdd's abroad :)

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
have you been to China? power strips with transformers built in are available in most supermarkets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.