Moving from Japan to China

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bluetortilla, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. bluetortilla macrumors newbie

    Nov 11, 2011
    Japan is 110 V, China 220. I guess I'll need a transformer for my two external hd's (they only go to 120V). Would a transformer be cheaper or can I buy new power supplies.

    This is for a new Mac Mini that goes from 110-220 V. Sorry it's not strictly a 'mac' question.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You can buy new power supplies with the proper connector.
  3. waw74 macrumors 68040

    May 27, 2008
    look closely at the power supplies i'm guessing that somewhere on them they say "90-240 VAC 50/60 Hz" on them.
    That means they'll run on the power anywhere in the world, you just need to adapt the plug so it fits in the outlet.
    I haven't seen any power supplies recently that aren't like this.

    so something like this from amazon in the US, about $5 US or 385 yen will do the trick.
    just get a power strip that has matching plugs on it, and you'll be set to go.
  4. parasitius macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2011
    Jp is the only country retarded enough (AFAIK) to sell USB harddrives without a universal 110-220v adapter. Had the same trouble myself.

    In the future I recommend buying your USB hdd's abroad :)
  5. yongren macrumors regular

    Jan 19, 2011
    have you been to China? power strips with transformers built in are available in most supermarkets.

Share This Page