Moving from leopard to snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by u49aa2, May 16, 2009.

  1. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #1
    I know it is still early to talk about S leopard, however i am just wondering; if i restore my leopard backup to S leopard is there a potential for some programs not working (i am assuming the answer is yes?).

    If the answer is yes, then how long do you recommend to wait before upgrading, to be in the safe side?

    NB: i only started using mac when leopard came, i.e no experience in moving from tiger to leopard.

    Thanks
     
  2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

    Bye Bye Baby

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Location:
    i(am in the)cloud
  3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #3
    It depends on what you're doing with the machine. If you're running a business with it, I'd wait at least a couple of months get see the experiences of others. If it's a home machine (not for school use) I'd jump in on day 1!
     
  4. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    I think the OP means that he wants to use his time machine back up of his leopard machine and use it on snow leopard to transfer all his documents.

    Im sure this would be possible but Im going to do a clean install and just copy across documents, basically starting with a clean slate.
     
  5. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #5

    Exactly what i mean.

    Clean copy will be a hassle. I have many big programs, some off i don't have their CDs now.
     
  6. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    Im sure that Apple will allow you to restore from a TM backup, but regarding any problems I guess we will just have to wait and see ....
     
  7. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #7
    I think i will just wait for few months after snow leopard comes. Hopefully somebody here will start a thread about incompatible programs with snow leopard :cool:
     
  8. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    yeah im going to wait until the first update come out, from september im writing my dissertation so do not want any problems and 10.5.7 is rock solid.
     
  9. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #10
    History does not guarantee future, but I have never had trouble with the following procedure:

    1) upgrade install to new OS
    2) backup the user environment w/ new OS
    3) clean install the new OS and all the applications
    4) restore the old user environment

    Sure, it's lot of work, but I want to keep by systems running at full throttle.
     

Share This Page