Moving from leopard to snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by u49aa2, May 16, 2009.

1. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I know it is still early to talk about S leopard, however i am just wondering; if i restore my leopard backup to S leopard is there a potential for some programs not working (i am assuming the answer is yes?).

If the answer is yes, then how long do you recommend to wait before upgrading, to be in the safe side?

NB: i only started using mac when leopard came, i.e no experience in moving from tiger to leopard.

Thanks

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

It depends on what you're doing with the machine. If you're running a business with it, I'd wait at least a couple of months get see the experiences of others. If it's a home machine (not for school use) I'd jump in on day 1!

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think the OP means that he wants to use his time machine back up of his leopard machine and use it on snow leopard to transfer all his documents.

Im sure this would be possible but Im going to do a clean install and just copy across documents, basically starting with a clean slate.

5. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Exactly what i mean.

Clean copy will be a hassle. I have many big programs, some off i don't have their CDs now.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im sure that Apple will allow you to restore from a TM backup, but regarding any problems I guess we will just have to wait and see ....

7. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I think i will just wait for few months after snow leopard comes. Hopefully somebody here will start a thread about incompatible programs with snow leopard :cool:

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

yeah im going to wait until the first update come out, from september im writing my dissertation so do not want any problems and 10.5.7 is rock solid.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

History does not guarantee future, but I have never had trouble with the following procedure:

1) upgrade install to new OS
    2) backup the user environment w/ new OS
    3) clean install the new OS and all the applications
    4) restore the old user environment

Sure, it's lot of work, but I want to keep by systems running at full throttle.