Moving from Mac Outlook Express to Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Synergy67, May 6, 2007.

1. Synergy67 macrumors newbie

I have an OS 9/X bootable G4 on which I have for years been using Outlook Express as my email client. I want to try using Thunderbird, which looks like an excellent replacement. I use Comcast for my ISP which allows up to seven alias email addresses all sent to my actual email address. I have been able to set up Thunderbird to receive mail to the primary address. I cannot figure out how to create an account or identity to access my mail from the two aliases I commonly also use. How would I go about doing this? The problem is Comcast wants a separate password for each email address it is accessing, and I can't find a way to enter a password for anything but the primary address. Help?

Is there a way to import my Outlook Express contacts and emails? Only Eudora is listed in the import menu.

-S-

2. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I've never used Outlook Express for Mac, but for Windows, you can go to File>Import/Export and export your emails and contacts to a .pst file. Then go into Thunderbird and choose Tools>Import and bring in your info.

As for the account issue, I believe you can just add another account in Thunderbird by going to Tools>Account Settings and adding an additional one. You should then be able to add separate passwords for each account.

Try the exporting thing from above first, though, it might even bring across your account settings!:)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have nothing against Thunderbird. For years, however, you have had an excellent Outlook Express replacement on your computer. It is called Mail and will import all of your old OE messages. Why do you not consider Mail?

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    could I use Thunderbird instead of Entourage in my Windows saturated work network?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How are you using Entourage? I presume that you are using it to access a Microsoft Exchange server via Exchange settings. If Outlook Web Access is enabled, then it may be possible to use Mail's Exchange settings. IIRC, Thunderbird does not have Exchange settings. If IMAP is enabled on your Exchange server, then you can access the server using any IMAP-compatible email client, including Mail and Thunderbird. However, you are the only person on this forum who knows which if any of these services are enabled on your Exchange server, if you are using Exchange.