Moving from Mac Pro to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McDLT, Jan 29, 2015.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

I am considering moving to a rMBP from a mid 2010 3.33 Ghz MacPro 6-core with 12GB ram. A couple questions...

First and foremost, what will the difference in performance be? I use my mac primarily for video and photo editing, so a lot of fcp7, photoshop cs6, apple color.

Second, what's the best way to handle my data... I am interested in the laptop because of increasing time away from home and therefore my main work computer, but I am not sophisticated about data management since it is so simple on the desktop with multiple internal HDDs and automated backups.

My home folder is currently 1.5TB full. Most of that is video and photos, and then a lot of music too. For the sake of argument, let's say I need it all with me, and the ability to back it up continuously... What is the best way of going about that? 2 2TB externals? How does it work with the externals for something like an iPhoto library or iTunes... can those be directed to find their libraries on different disks than they reside?

Lastly, is it possible to essentially sync whatever storage I have with the MBP with the existing MacPro while I am on the road? Like a private cloud situation basically.

Any help would be appreciated tremendously! Thanks in advance.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can setup your Mac Pro as an sFTP server with DynDNS and access it from your rMBP anywhere in the world. That'll be something like a private cloud.

I'd recommend the high end 15" rMBP with 750M plus 1TB SSD, and if you want, you can go of the 2.8GHz i7 upgrade as well.

You can put your iTunes and iPhoto/Aperture library in external drives. That's what I do with my own setup.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

The current 2.8GHz 15" rMBP scores a tiny bit lower in geekbench, so you should expect similar performance on CPU heavy tasks.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What graphics cards are you running??

The difference between desktop and mobile graphics cards will be the major difference here.

The PCIE SSD in the rMBP will be blisteringly quick and make the rMBP feel faster in general use.

As mentioned above your Mac pro can be set up as a server and you can easily remote log in with a variety of apps.

I photo and itunes can be set up to store all information on other disks than the internal.

You also may want to consider wifi hard drives so you can have access to your files without having to plug in a drive it can just be left in your bag....

Something like these

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirel...id=1422615684&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+hard+drive

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wire...id=1422615725&sr=8-4&keywords=wifi+hard+drive