Moving from Macbook Pro to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kalbelgarion, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Kalbelgarion macrumors newbie

I haven't owned a desktop computer in 15 years, but I am thinking about upgrading from my 2008 Macbook Pro to 27-inch, late 2012 iMac.

Right now I own an iPad mini, which I use for my light internet surfing, reading, social media, etc. My Macbook is used for my heavy lifting -- FCP, Photoshop, streaming Xbox 360 gameplay to the web, etc. Those are the main tasks that I would do with a new iMac.

Before I make the jump, I have a few questions:

• It seems that there is no Firewire port? Is there a way to connect a Firewire-output video camera to the iMac, perhaps through an adapter?
    • Is there a way to move my applications, like FCP and Photoshop, from my old computer to my new one? Or would I need to hope I still have the installation CDs somewhere?
    • For running FCP, Photoshop, and streaming gameplay, is there anything to be gained by getting more than 8GB of memory? What difference would 16 or 32GB make?
    • I don't quite understand the hard drive options. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these options?
    • Is there anything else I should consider when moving from my laptop to a desktop computer?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

There is a Firewire <> Thunderbolt adapter here.
    Normally Migration / Setup Assistant can help you with that, but PS might prove a bit difficult with the licensing.
    Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find answers to that.
    It depends on your usage. 8 GB might cut it, but 16 GB is often more helpful. I have 8 GB RAM in my 2009 MBP and it is okay, but could need more. My new Mac has 16 GB RAM and it works like a charm, I probably upgrade to 32 GB RAM in the future though. Btw, RAM is always cheaper to get somewhere else and put it inside the Mac yourself.
    What is RAM? - measured again in MB and GB
    The platter based HDDs in the new iMacs are a bit slow for extensive work, slower than their 2010 counterparts.
    A 3 TB HDD is big and has an okay speed (due to density).
    A Fusion Drive is a 128 GB SSD and a 1 or 3 TB HDD combined into one visible and usable volume (but still to actual devices), which gives the speed advantage of an SSD and the capacity of a platter based HDD. The OS and applications and often used files are stored on the SSD and the rest on the HDD. Mac OS X takes care of it automatically.
    It is probably the best option for you.
    The 768 GB SSD is just a very fast and very expensive storage device yo probably do not need, unless you can easily afford it (it is cheaper to buy two or three 500 GB SSDs and putting them in USB 3.0 enclosures than getting the 768 GB SSD from Apple).

3. Kalbelgarion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's very helpful.

I guess I'll go with the 1TB fusion drive. Coming from my old MBP with 128 GB, 1TB will be wonderful.

It's nice that the RAM is easily upgradable. I figured that buying additional RAM from Apple would be needlessly expensive.

This computer has a Mini DisplayPort, right? I see it listed, but it's not included in the screenshot on Apple's website.

4. simsaladimbamba

It has two Thunderbolt ports, which you can use to connect Mini DisplayPort devices.

To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):
    [​IMG]

5. Kalbelgarion thread starter macrumors newbie

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I don't remember needing the install CDs (Migration Assistant will do this) for Photoshop, but you need to un-register your Adobe software on your old computer and then re-register (you need the key) on your new system.

I assume you are referring to FCP prior to FCPX, which I know can be easily copied to the new system. I don't know about the older versions.

Any reference for this? Certainly true for the 21.5" iMacs which have different drives, but why are the 7200 RPM, 3.5" drives on the 27" iMacs slower?

7. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, did not think of the 27" model that specifically. Was a bit absent, or was it absinth?

8. steve119 macrumors 6502

I went from my 2011 mbp to my iMac easily, just plugged in a Ethernet lead to Both machines and migrated after a few hours, everything was on the iMac......apart from photoshop and premiere elements due to having it on 4 different machines already previously but no option to shift one of the licences from old to new.....lets just say my solution wasn't above board. ;)