moving from MBA to rMBP - transferring data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vivithemage, Apr 30, 2013.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I was wondering, do you guys just transfer the data via the migrater tool? Or is it best to start from scratch and install fresh (windows mentality??)

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

The migrator tool won't install the OS that is done separately. So technically you will be doing a fresh install.

Some people clone which isn't fresh but cloning does bring the OS as well.

If using the migrator tool you install the OS and then run it to move all the files over.

3. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

The OS's will be at the same patch level.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

TimeMachine
    CarbonCloner

are generally the best, if you're having any software issues on your current machine you want want to start fresh and add things in piece by piece.

5. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Nope, no software issues, just wondering what is best practice really.

6. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Vivithemage - I don't completely understand what you mean by '...data', i.e. if you have a new rMBP, you should have the most recent OS X install (and all of the other software) loaded? Or are you needing to do as suggested a cloning of the drive from the other laptop?

I purchased a rMBP about a month ago and transferred my Music/Documents/Pictures from an old Dell laptop just using a large USB drive (could have used an external HD which I'm using for Time Machine).

SO, just trying to determine what your needs may be - Dave :)

7. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I RadDave,

I currently have a MBA, I was hoping to transfer the software/settings/data from it to my new rMBP.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Use Time Machine. It does all that besides the OS.

Programs, settings, files... everything but ML.

9. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Wouldn't it be faster to run that migrater assistant then? Or is that essentially time machine?

10. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I'm a little confused on that as well, I know Time Machine but not sure why there is both.

I'm pretty sure they are essentially the same thing but Time Machine backs up for future use while Migration Assistant simply transfers all the same things but meant to be used at that time for transfer to a new computer right away. If that makes sense.

11. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Yes, and that is all I want it for ... I don't really have a back up plan right now for my Macbooks ... just getting used to them still.

12. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah just use the assistant then.

Once you are ready to start establish a backup (definitely have one) use Time Machine. You can set it up in minutes and it will run at set time intervals and keep everything nicely backed up. You can go "back in time" to any day in the time machine and grab files, it's pretty amazing.

13. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Yeah, I have looked at time machine ... just need to get some decent way to actually do it, without dropping 200$+ on one of those time machines.

14. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I found a 1.5TB 3.0 drive on sale for 79$ yesterday, it works great.

Right now I just plug it in to my computer once a day and it backs up. I don't need hourly. If I lose a few hours worth so be it, I'll mostly be worried about my raw file storage over new changes from the past day.

If you want to do hourly but don't want to keep it plugged in to your laptop all the time you can attach a hard drive to most routers and have a network storage device so it will automatically wirelessly backup to that. It's not supported by Apple but many people use it and it works fine.

The "Time Capsule" (Apples router with storage) are pretty expensive. I much prefer using a normal brand router, it has more features.

15. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I store everything on the network as it is, and VPN in to shares when I am away from home ... so I am not worried if I lost my entire laptop in an explosion if you will.

16. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Haha I sure hope there isn't an explosion. :eek:

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can use any external drive for this, you don't need the Apple version (which yes, is overpriced)

18. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Do you still need a firewire cable to do this?

19. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Whenever I buy a new Mac, I just do a clean install and then once I create a new user for me, I copy over all Finder-visible subfolders from the old user folder (/Users/Menge, in my case) to the new machine via either WiFi (802.11n is fast enough) or a USB hard drive.

That'll get you all your old files with none of the old configurations so you are starting clean without losing any data.

Then I install apps I need on an as-needed basis.

20. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

21. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Oh thank goodness. I figured strictly firewire was obsolete by now.

22. stchman macrumors 6502a

Is the rMBP you're getting used? If yes then make yourself a Mountain Lion USB. There are MANY tutorials to make one.

When you get the rMBP, simply wipe it and re-install.

23. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Already have one, and yes, used :).

24. case2001 macrumors 6502

I completed this very move last night. I opened the MacBook Pro retina. Setup an account and made sure it functioned normally. Then I used migration assistant to transfer all my data settings and apps from a time machine back up of the air. I did not want to go through the trouble of reinstall of applications I needed. I wanted my settings of my Mac book air transferred if possible.

It worked flawlessly. Everything transferred perfectly. Once I was sure everything was there. I deleted the original account I used to test the Mac Book Pro retina.

Fantastic

Good luck