Moving from MBA to rMPB -- Best way to transfer all data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LeoThe3rd, Jul 29, 2013.

1. LeoThe3rd macrumors newbie

Hi,

What's the best way to transfer all the data from my Macbook Air to the Macbook pro? The MBA runs Lion and the MBP is with Mountain Lion.
    I'd prefer doing it with an external hard-drive, instead of wireless transfer.

Thanks

2. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

My preferred way is to import from a Time Machine disk using Migration Assistant. Really easy to do.

3. LeoThe3rd thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the noob question but won't it then install Lion on top of Mountain Lion? Although I assume there's an option to install only the apps and ignore the OS.

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I've never tried using migration assistant for more than apps and user accounts. I'm not even sure that it can be used to copy over the OS.

----------

See the guide here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#3

In particular the screenshot marked "7." that shows where you select what to bring over.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

No. Migration Assistant will not copy over an OS on top of itself.
    Stuff in system folders that is in addition to the OS? Yes, like Fonts, Application Support folders, LaunchAgents, Launch Daemons, Internet plug-ins, etc, etc.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I would use migration assistant: thunderbolt to thunderbolt connection. It would most likely be quicker than any wireless transfer and/or transferring onto a external HDD and off of it.

7. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

This. Migration over Thunderbolt is quick and painless.

The Time Machine migration is pretty straight forward as well, just quite a bit slower although still quicker than wireless migration. The Time Machine option only restores *your* files, not default system files.