**Moving from old iMac to new; Advise??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rhobes, May 8, 2010.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

Please direct me to any previous posts, stickies or guides on this subject:D

I'm moving from the iMac in my sig to a new 27" iMac Quad i7. I plan to move things myself. The loadable apps should be fine but things like Bookmarks, e-mail addresses etc, I'm sure many questions to follow.

I have bookmarks & addresses in Firefox & Safari. I have iToons(no clue what to do here).

I have a HD that has the current system backed up (whatever that means).

Any suggestions or redirections to othe post appreciated...:eek:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm good question! had you thought about using Time Machine via an external hard drive?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can connect the Macs via Ethernet or FireWire cable and use Migration Assistant or use that ext HD and use Migration Assistant (if you used Time Machine)

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

So, I have TM but don't use it. I have my Maxtor 200GB ext HD but it is in no way connected to TM. The Maxtor does it own thing, I push a button & it backs-up the system, no connection to TM. I don't know where that leaves me?

I'm getting the drift that this Maxtor can or should be connected to TM somehow to use the migration software?

How do you know what junk your migrating to the new machine if your coping your old system. I hate to transfer much, just for the fact that I'm keeping the new machine "clean". The old system has problems, very slow & afraid I'd possibly pass corrupt files etc. But, I have my pics & they are all burned on CD's.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If pics are everything you need, just transfer them to external or copy them from the CDs

6. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

That's good-

I can do that. Thanks for all your help on my shotgun question approach tonight.

I'm going to keep this system up while getting the new one loaded-up. At least if the new iMac(I mean me) has problems I can stay in touch.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Firefox bookmarks are easy to back up.
    In firefox click the Bookmarks option in the menu bar and click "Organize Bookmarks" (Or press SHIFT+Command+B).
    In the bookmarks window that pops up click the 5th button in the tool bar (looks almost like a star?). Select "Back up".. Save to external drive or some thing.
    To restore on the new mac do the same thing but click restore instead, then point to that file.

For iTunes, just copy your whole Music folder over to the new mac/external drive. This should back up your library if you left the library location as defaults.

For emails, go into your home folder>Library and copy the mail folder right over to the new mac (to the same place)

Or...... You can just set up time machine+ get an external drive, let it do its thing. Then once you get your new mac connect the external drive to the new mac before you set it up. During set up tell it to import from time machine back up. and you will have every thing transfered over.