Moving From One Air to Another...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by scubus, May 8, 2012.

1. scubus macrumors member

scubus

I am about to return my 11 inch Air for a different 11 inch Air (need more RAMand the bigger drive)and I am wondering if there is a way to move the setup on the current hard drive to the new one without starting from scratch - it has taken the better part of a week to get this one exactly the way I want it.

So, how do I do it? Or do I need to just start from scratch?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Sure, you could run Migration Assistant on the new one with both machines connected to the same network.

3. scubus thread starter macrumors member

scubus

Hmm... I wonder if the store will allow me to do that - but I am ashamed I didn't think of it.

I want to open the new AIr up and have it look exactly like the one I am working on now - will m=Migration Assistant create a clone?

Thanks.

4. Scarrus macrumors regular

5. idiiamots macrumors member

Make a time machine backup to a USB drive. OS X will give you an option to restore from backup during first boot. Bring the drive to Apple Store and they can help you if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself.

Doing it over wi-fi in the store will take too much time.

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

What makes you think that in about a week he has filled the entire SSD?

7. scubus thread starter macrumors member

scubus

I have the 64 gig model -which is why I am upgrading - although it is not quite full, yet.

It sounds like the Time Machine back-up to a USB drive is the way to go.

8. Scarrus macrumors regular

Yep, definitely, anything over a few Gigs over Wi-Fi is just unnecessary harm done to yourself

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get an external HDD (or a blank flash drive/SD card), create a big enough partition and close your internal disk to the external via Carbon Copy Cloner.

Alternatively, you can install Carbon Copy Cloner, then boot up the new computer in Target Disk Mode, connect the two machines together with a Thunderbolt cable. Then clone your old computer to the new one. I would think a quick chat with a store manager to let you do this at their Genius Bar would be fine. You return the Thunderbolt cable when you're done with it.

That said, I've transfer over 50GB in files over WiFi at once all the time. I do it all to move movies and such between my computers. Takes no more than 20 minutes or so for 50GB over N-wireless.

10. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

The simplest thing to do is just plug in an external drive and run Time Machine to create a backup. You can then return the MacBook Air, get a new one and just run Migration Assistant when you boot up the new one. It'll take a few hours, but when it's done it'll be just like the one you took back, with all of your files and settings restored.