Moving from PC to MAC without losing iPod Touch Application Data

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bessamy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bessamy macrumors member

Bessamy

Hello everyone, I need some assistance. I have searched but cannot find conclusive evidence of a resolution to my issue. I hope someone here can help.

I have both a 1G and 2G iPod Touch. I used to sync both with our PC in XP. Well, that PC died. Lucky for us the hard drive was intact. So now I was hoping I could transfer my iTunes applications and music to my new Macbook. Well I have heard that it is easy and I heard that I will lose everything if I do so.

What I am most concerned with is I do NOT want to lose my data in my apps. I have lots of things built up that do not back up outside of the iPod Touch. Like my complete workout and routine along with a log of all my workouts plus my shoping list with all of the aisles worked in it that took months to set up. Plus my game saves and all.

How can I transfer without losing it all? Is it even possible? Or should I just make a backup of my info and have my PC fixed and wait till it is back up and running?

Thanks ahead for any assistance!

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

If you can copy the iTunes backup file of your touches and then on your new computer restore from those backups.

3. Bessamy thread starter macrumors member

Bessamy

Thanks for your reply. =)

I can copy those files, but won't I lose everything I have entered since the last time I synced? That was three weeks ago. :( I would hate to lose that much data. But that is better than losing it all.

4. looman9635 macrumors member

looman9635

Sorry to thread jack but....

where would you find the back up files in vista

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

To OP:

Your Touch is working fine, right? So authorize iTunes on your new computer with your iTunes account. Go into iTunes preferences, and there's an option somewhere to set your iTunes to NOT sync automatically when an iPod or iPhone is connected. Make sure it's set to NOT auto-sync. Then connect your Touch, and right-click on the Touch icon in iTunes, and select "backup." Your Touch data should now backup to your new computer. Also, you can select "transfer purchases" to have all the apps currently on your Touch to transfer to the new computer. Once you confirm that the backup has been made, sync your music, video, etc. that you transferred from your old computer's hard drive to the new one.

This should work when you are switching between any computers, whether one or both are PCs or Macs.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I guess you learn a better way of doing something everyday. So much for getting the easy way from support pages.

7. Bessamy thread starter macrumors member

Bessamy

Yes, both Touches are working fine. =) That is such good news! I already authorized my Mac to DL a game or two because I knew I could transfer them back.

Under Preferences / Devices there is a Disable automatic syncing for iPhones and iPods checkbox. I already had that selected. So it looks like I am good to go! Thanks so much Night Spring!! =)

8. jamontoast1291 macrumors newbie

I moved from a PC to mac recently. All I did was copy over my old iTunes folder from my pc into the new itunes folder on my mac. When I synced my iPod touch with my mac all of my applications and data remained.