Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hello,
I want to buy the mac mini 2012 (i7 3720qm + fusion drive + 8GB ram) and i have few question before i do that.
Currently im using an old pc (i7 920 on x58 motherboard's chipset + 3gb ram + intel ssd + hd5450).
Is the performance improvement will be significant between my old pc to the new mac mini? how much improvement will be a percentage? 50%?
When the 2013 mac mini should be out?
What else I need to know before moving to mac?

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
"Performance improvement" does not mean a lot. Are you talking about games? Spreadsheets? Mathematical simulations? Photo editing?

Mac and Windows are 2 worlds apart. I found that what works well in one operative system usually is kind of poor in the other. Therefore, it is a bit tough to compare the two and say whether or not you will see any performance improvement.

I have been using Macs for 7 years now and I have to admit that I will never go back to Windows (which I sometimes use at work). But it is not for the performance, it is because it makes the use of a PC a pleasure. There are some details that are invaluable :)

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hello,
I want to buy the mac mini 2012 (i7 3720qm + fusion drive + 8GB ram) and i have few question before i do that.
Currently im using an old pc (i7 920 on x58 motherboard's chipset + 3gb ram + intel ssd + hd5450).
Is the performance improvement will be significant between my old pc to the new mac mini? how much improvement will be a percentage? 50%?
When the 2013 mac mini should be out?
What else I need to know before moving to mac?

"Performance" is a broad benchmark to measure. It is not easy to answer that.

Your "old" PC doesn't seem that old. Also you are already using an SSD.

I doubt you will be disapointed in the mini though, particularly if you have a fusion and at least 8gb of RAM, although 16 is better. Mini's are known for having a huge punch for their weight. Expecially the i7 Quads.

You could buy say 16GB of Corsair Vengenace Ram instead of the 8GB OEM stuff. A lot cheaper.

Waiting for the 2013? There is a lot of speculation on that. Even then we do not even know if it will be a simple acWiFi/CPU/GPU update or a completely new rebuild. That is the same with every apple product. Impossible to know.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I want to buy the mac mini 2012 (i7 3720qm + fusion drive + 8GB ram) and i have few question before i do that. Don't upgrade ram from Apple, buy aftermarket. You can get 16 gigs of ram from OWC for $150US.
Is the performance improvement will be significant between my old pc to the new mac mini? Yes
how much improvement will be a percentage? 50%? No way to know
When the 2013 mac mini should be out? If you need it now, buy it now.
What else I need to know before moving to mac? Nothing.

See inline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.