Moving from PowerBook to macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FallingWitStyle, Jan 15, 2011.

1. FallingWitStyle macrumors newbie

Have just been given a black MacBook (2ghz 80gb intel core duo 2gb ram) as I got a iPad and iPhone 4 for christmas and they won't work on my PowerBook.
    I need to know how best to get this as close to a clean, brand new version as possible and remove previous owners user account and details etc. Only problem is I don't have the install disc and don't know how to delete and re-install the OS as I'm a bit of a newb. I also need to bring over my iTunes library Inc apps, office 2007 and final draft - what's the best way to do this?

Also, is there anything you can recommend to go in order to keep this machine going as long as possible while I save up for a new MacBook pro sometime later in the year? I'm going to replace the battery as it's shot, but anything else I should do? Any help would be appreciated as I want to get the blackbook up and running soon as possible! Thanks...

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you can obtain an install CD (easy to do, just get Snow Leopard for $30 from any store that sells Apple products) that's the best way to do it. Otherwise, I'd create a new admin account, though that might be an issue if he didn't give you the password.

3. FallingWitStyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Would erasing and doing a clean install of snow leopard get rid of any of the iLife applications that I currently have on this mac? I don't have the install disc for them, but could get them from the Internet or mac app store?