Moving from Southern California to Arizona

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sup3rknova, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Whats up people. So my family and I (wife/kids) are moving to Arizona on July 1st. Ive lived in the same southern California city for 30 years now (my whole life). We have the opportunity to save some good money living with a family member. Im terrified of doing it but it will give us a chance to put a lot of money away and I can finish school. (my wife has her career. I want to become a teacher.) How is it there? We are moving to Prescott, Arizona. About an hour 20 mins away from Phoenix/major cities. Anyone ever been or lived there? Ive read schools are great for the kids (mine are 6 and 4) and its very family friendly. Kind of a quiet low key town. Ive just never lived outside of the same city my whole life. my wife is super excited and I am just really nervous. Any opinions or experiences?:confused:

2. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Prescott is a nice city, but pretty isolated (which is never really a bad thing). My best advice is when you get there, be sure to pronounce it "press-kit" and not "press-scott". The locals will burn you at the stake if they hear it :)

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've never lived there, but my father-in-law retired to Prescott, and it seems like a cool town. Close enough to Phoenix that you're not completely isolated, but still far enough away that you're not dealing with big city issues either. Embry Riddle Aeronautical University has a campus there, which helps to liven up downtown.

I think you'll enjoy it. If you're gonna move to Arizona, there are certainly worse places to be.

4. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Ya funny about the press kit. lmao. My sister in law already let me have it for that mistake! haha. thanks for all the info guys. change will be good for me i think.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

As long as you're not in North Scottsdale or South Chandler where the snobby *******s are, you should be fine. Those are the ones full of NIMBYs.

7. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Moreno Valley/ Inland Empire area

LOL. Ill kepp that in mind. Im far from that. lol

On a personal note, as a parent, how is it for minorities? Just curious. And no im not getting into the political part of checking legal identification. Im of mixed race as is my wife so I think about my children growing up in a area where they will feel welcome. Of course that could happen ANYWHERE. Just curious.