Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
T

Tonerl

Original poster
I'm new to OS X and am feeling my way. My 24" iMac (my first-ever Mac) arrived on Friday.

I have 3 e-mail accounts: one for business, one for personal, and one that my ISP provides. The business and personal accounts are hosted so that I can change ISP without changing e-mail addresses or having to move my accounts about. The business and personal accounts use the host's POP system for incoming mail and the ISP-provided account uses the ISP's POP system (naturally!). All 3 accounts use the ISP's SMTP system for outgoing mail.

When I send an e-mail from the business or personal accounts, Mail reports that the ISP's SMTP system has rejected that e-mail address. Thunderbird has no such problems; in fact, I copied my PC settings - lock, stock, and barrell - to my iMac and set about e-mailing as if nothing had happened.

I'm back to using Thunderbird for now but readily concede that I may have missed something that would enable Mail to work for me. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I'm new to OS X and am feeling my way. My 24" iMac (my first-ever Mac) arrived on Friday.

I have 3 e-mail accounts: one for business, one for personal, and one that my ISP provides. The business and personal accounts are hosted so that I can change ISP without changing e-mail addresses or having to move my accounts about. The business and personal accounts use the host's POP system for incoming mail and the ISP-provided account uses the ISP's POP system (naturally!). All 3 accounts use the ISP's SMTP system for outgoing mail.

When I send an e-mail from the business or personal accounts, Mail reports that the ISP's SMTP system has rejected that e-mail address. Thunderbird has no such problems; in fact, I copied my PC settings - lock, stock, and barrell - to my iMac and set about e-mailing as if nothing had happened.

I'm back to using Thunderbird for now but readily concede that I may have missed something that would enable Mail to work for me. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Did you neglect to activate authentication on outgoing mail?

T

Tonerl

Original poster
When I chose authentication, I received a message that my ISP's SMTP server didn't support authentication. In any case, I can send mail from the ISP-provided account but not from the hosted accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.