Moving from Tiger to Leopard - what will happen when I sync my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alFR, Apr 8, 2008.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

I'm going to move to Leopard later this week. I'm going to do a clean install and manually move over all my data (iCal, address book, itunes library, iPhoto library, etc.). When I connect my iPhone after doing this, what will happen?

I'm assuming that iTunes will ask me if I want to sync the 'phone with the "new" computer and will give me the opportunity to replace the content on the phone or merge it with the data on the new install. Is that correct, or are there any other steps I need to take to ensure a successful sync to my new install?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you're using the same iTunes library, it should just sync without a problem. I had my iPhone syncing music to a 10.4 machine and then I put that iTunes library onto my main 10.5 machine and it's worked fine.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

just make sure you have the most current iTunes update. :cool:

4. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Thought it would probably work OK. :)

thanks for the info.

5. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

i moved from a pc (that died so no time to back up music etc) to my nice new iMac......

Don't suppose you know how i can keep my music and ringtones etc. I synced and now it says to manually deal with my music /ringtones i will lose them all...

Is there anyway i can sync my iphone stuff across to the iMac and not lose everything ?

Sorry to jump on your thread, just pointless opening a new one when your query is similar

6. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Update for anyone else in this situation: it did "just work". After I copied over my iTunes library, address book data and safari bookmarks from my old user account and had opened iTunes, I plugged in the 'phone. It said the information (contacts, calendar, bookmarks) were synced with another user account and did I want to replace them. Selected yes, 'phone synced, all done. Nicely implemented IMHO, minimum fuss.

Tincan, I don't think you can copy music from the 'phone without 3rd party software: there are a few that come up if you Google for it, not used any myself though.