Moving From UK to USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HelixOmnimedia, Jun 20, 2009.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hey,

I've applied for another job at Disney, but not sure if I'll get it so it could be up to 6+ months to get a job out there... thing is I want a new iPhone 3Gs.

I want it on Pay As You Go as I don't want to be tied into a contract, so what would happen if I did eventually move to the USA, will it still work over there, if I insert a AT&T sim? :confused:

2. 314631 macrumors 6502a

No. Officially you'll need to sell your phone in the UK and buy one locked to the US carrier when you move.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Really?

4. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Yeah phones in each country are sold locked to the single local carrier (unless local law prevents it such as France) it's a huge downer. And O2 in the UK refuse to unlock iPhones even if you buy out the remainder of your contract OR you buy the Pay As You GO version. It's disgusting really given the price we are paying for this device.

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Now that information has put me off getting one...ever. As if i got back to USA to work with Disney I'll only be there a year, before Visa kicks me out.

Needing a new phone though... :mad: I may need to resort to Plan B - normal P&G Phone and a new iPod Touch (September).

Thanks for all the information, greatly appreciated.

6. stu212 macrumors member

get a pay and go one and from what i hear if you ask o2 nicely they can unlock it. if not just jailbreak it.