Moving from US to Belgium

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BicyclePunk, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Hi there! I'm sure this isn't the proper place to post, and I apologize for not finding a better place.

But here's the story. My family and I are moving to Belgium for a couple years at the end of this year. I'm wondering what...aside from the international plug/power adaptors...I need to prepare for to get make sure the following things work for me over there:

- MacBook Pro 17"
    - two airport extremes
    - three airport expresses
    - 2 Vonage VoIP phone numbers
    - various iPods
    - iPhone (both service plan and actual basic functioning)

I know it's a loaded post, but any sort of advice is very welcome. Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You should be all set for most things, except you may have to change the country/region for the AirPorts (as certain frequencies that some channels are on are used by other things in the EU). Vonage should continue to work, since it is VOIP, but it will be a little strange, and I'd check with them before continuing service.

Everything else should still work just fine, unless anything has a US/Canada Phone jack, which is different from the phone plugs and sockets used in the EU.

The iPhone is a different critter, if it is an iPhone EDGE, just unlock it and buy a new SIM from a provider when you get there. If it is a 3G, sell it before you leave, buy a new one when you get there.

TEG

3. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info!

As for the iPhone...I'm still on the Edge network version. As far as unlocking it when i get there....will that screw me for when I come back? I guess it still makes more sense than keeping the current phone and plan and just use European roaming, huh?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unlocking is reversible, and it just means that you are not tied to a particular network.

TEG