Moving from Windows PC to macbook. iTunes help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by artnotwar, Sep 15, 2011.

1. artnotwar macrumors member

Hi guys,

I Have an iPhone 4 that I used used to connect to my old Windows PC to sync with iTunes. I purchased my new macbook pro a couple of days before I moved country to the UK and couldn't get migration assistant working, so i had to leave Australia with my iPhone still sync'd with my old PC.

What I'm hoping to do is sync my iPhone 4 with my new macbook without losing things like photos, notes, contacts, the order of my apps on my screen, etc. Basically i want my iPhone 4 to be EXACTLY the same as it is now. If i lose music that wasn't purchased on iTunes, that's no biggie.

But also, when I go into the iTunes store on my macbook, then click purchased on the right I can only see one tab for apps, and one tab for books. Shouldn't there be a tab for music? I can't seem to be able to download my previously purchased music which also makes me a bit more reluctant to sync with my new macbook.

Thanking you in advance.
    artnotwar.

2. ts3 macrumors newbie

I am new to macs as well so take my advice with a grain of salt :) To keep things on my iPod touch when I switched without first moving the library to the new laptop I stopped the iPod from syncing every time it's connected to the laptop: iTunes preferences -> devices tab then check the "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" box.

Then when I connect the iPod I can go through the tabs for music, TV shows, photos etc. and decide whether and how I want to sync (e.g. in music I sync only selected playlists rather than everything, in TV only shows I haven't watched yet etc.). In your case you probably should not sync until you get your library on the mac.

Oh, and I also used the Transfer Purchases from iPod option in the iTunes -> File menu. I got half my stuff on the mac without having to fool around with external hard disks etc. :)

No idea as to why iTunes does not show your purchases. Maybe something to do with the fact that you're in the UK. Are you logged in when you open iTunes?

3. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

No it should have nothing to do with me being in the UK as iTunes doesn't know that I'm here. I'm still using the Australian store so it should be the same as before.

If anyone has a bit more detailed info that would be awesome. Thanks for your help ts3. :)

4. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

Does anybody else has some kind of solution for me?

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny