Moving From Windows To Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Konvictz, Feb 23, 2016.

?

Should I keep Macbook Pro?

1. Yea

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Konvictz macrumors regular

I've just received my Macbook Pro haven't opened it yet because I'm not sure if I will be familiar with the OS.

Apart from iPhone I have never used a full Max OS.

I have a windows gaming pc so with the Mac it will basically be my college work, watching youtube, opening pdfs, chrome browsing - nothing more.

The question I have is will I be able to get used to the system after using Windows all my life?

I would describe myself as a high level user, I know how to computer program with a few languages etc.

I do like the look and design of the Macbook Pro and I hear how efficient it is which is why I got it.

So if anyone has moved from windows to Mac comfortably and would recommend that I do then comments are welcome - my alternative is to return and get a windows ultrabook.

Cheers

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Trust me you'll love it lol. I have always been a Windows guy myself and never used a mac other than for a year in third grade when my class had those macs with those colored backs which I found cool at the time ( duh I was a kid then lol). I got my first Macbook Pro 13 inch a few months ago and love it. Took me a few hours to get used to it but it's easy to use and runs better I think for basic tasks like Web browsing and productivity like word.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just try it out, don't bother with chrome unless you must it's poorly coded for OSX try out safari first.

Don't worry about opening it you have 14 days to return no questions asked so you have a while to try it out.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a mac and a PC. The differences in UI are pretty minor in the scheme of things. The biggest change is that the taskbar for all programs is at the top, rather than attached to each program individually. Also, programs are centralized into their "icon," so uninstalling a program is as simple as dragging it to the trash (most of the time). You're also going to be running similar programs, which have a similar UI anyway.

5. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

I would recommend everyone to use two different computer OSs.

Gives you greater understanding of how they operate and keeps you ready for changes down the line.

The only pain in the ass with using a Windows computer and a Mac is if you plan on moving large (over 4GB) files between them on physical storage media (USB-sticks/Harddrives) as OS X can't write to NTFS-formatted drives.
    But there are simple ways around that "problem".

But that's such a fringe problem that I now regret mentioning it.
    -But not enough to edit the post :p

Keep both, it will do you good.
    It's character building :p

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

For the OP: You just format it into exfat, and it works fine.

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

A few quick things for switchers:

1. Most keyboard shortcuts for the Mac are the same as the Windows ones if you substitute the Command key for the Control key. (e.g, copy is Command-c, paste is Command-v, etc.).

2. Unlike Windows, the Mac OS does not exit the application when you close the last window. You have to Quit the application from the menubar or type Command-Q. It is important to know this to avoid having unnecessary applications running in the background hogging memory. Another useful shortcut is Command-w, which closes the active window, but not the app.

3. Apple has some very good video tutorials for switchers: https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

8. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

See? Simple. DO IT!

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You will be fine as long as you take time to learn OS X (which won't take long!) and stop trying to use it like a Windows machine.

And don't get annoyed about the things OS X doesn't do like Windows, but take the time to appreciate how certain things are different.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    Whilst true, I sometimes need to use iTrash which clears up all the crap an app leaves behind.

10. JohnDS macrumors 65816

A few more hints:

1. Think of the Apple Menu item at the top left of the screen as the equivalent of the Windows Start Menu.
    2. The equivalent of Windows Control Panels are found under Apple Menu > System Preferences.
    3. You applications are stored in /Applications
    4. Mac has a wealth of system utilities found in /Applications/Utilities. These include Activity Monitor (the equivalent of Task Manager), Console (which shows system logs) and Terminal (a Unix command line utility. There are many more.
    5. The first thing I would do with a new Mac is to set up my Finder (think Windows Explorer) prefs. Click on the Desktop to make sure you are in Finder. The Finder menu should appear at the top. Pull down Finder to Preferences. Check all the boxes under the General and Sidebar tabs. Click "Show all Extensions" under the Advanced Tab.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say use it, and see if it fits your needs and wants.

Its hard to make an informed decision without actually using the computer. Granted OS X does some things differently and requires a small learning curve, yet you should be able to determine if you like this or not after a few days of using it.

12. Konvictz thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys, i want to keep it as it is nice.

Might open it up tonight and play around.

I have a 32gb memory stick so I will need to check the file system on that as well.

13. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

I've moved from Windows to OS X just over two months ago. Never used OS X before that. Around 3 to 4 hours after turning on my rMBP for the first time, I was flying through the whole OS like someone who used it for years (I know, I'm not a modest kind of person). A lot of things were simple/obvious enough to find out by myself, for other things (like keyboard shortcuts which I use a lot) I used Google to find it out. I made the switch and I will never look back at Windows. For example, on my Windows laptop it took around 30 seconds to open Microsoft Word. With my Macbook, I can start typing in Word within 5 seconds. Says enough I think;)

14. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

There aren't that many differences between OSes today. You'll have no problem transitioning to OS X. Like the previous poster said, a couple of hours poking around and googling how to do a few things that you don't know is all it takes to get familiar with OS X.
    One thing that I despise on OS X is Finder. It is cumbersome and painfully slow especially if you read and write files over a network share. Anytime I have to do that, I just bootcamp into Windows because everything flies with File Explorer.

15. Fishrrman, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

Just start up the Mac and try using it.
    Learn a little at a time.

There are hard copy books you can buy that help one make the transition to Mac from Windows -- David Pogue has written a few of them. Pick up a used copy on amazon.

DON'T pack away the PC yet. It helps to have both PC and Mac nearby. If you're having problems with something on the Mac, you can still use the PC if you need to.

Keep a flashdrive or two with the specific purpose of serving as a "sneakernet", to move things back-and-forth.

16. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

You are not going to have any problems. Maybe OS X will annoy you in a few ways, but fundamentally it's not so different in use to Win 10. It's always good for anyone to try new things, isn't it?