Moving from XP to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stephen47, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Stephen47 macrumors newbie

What is the best way for my son to transfer his documents, pictures, and music from his XP computer to his Macbook Pro?

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

the best way i can think of would be external harddrive, just a note, some of the documents might not be picked up on the Mac depending what they are and what App is used to run them ;)

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Do it manually by hand. It probably wont take more than an hour.

4. Stephen47 thread starter macrumors newbie

What happens to all his .doc files created in Microsoft Word?

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

they should be ok, as long as your putting microsoft word on the mac, if not, there is another office suite similar to microsoft office for free on mac, ( aarrgghh just cant think what it's called haha )

edit* open office is available for mac, intel cpu only for free ;)
    open office

6. Stephen47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. He has Open Office now so he is familiar with it.

7. NOSintake macrumors member

If you have an ethernet cable that is another way, but there are a few jumps you have to take. I did it with mine when I switched at the end of summer, because my external wasn't nearly big enough, and I just didn't have the time to sit there copy a chunk of my files, move it over, and do it again. I believe there is a folder called "Drop Box" which can be accessed from Windows when you network the computers.

8. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

If he is hands on, he can do the external drive, then drag and drop the files he wants. Just makes sure it is a compatible drive. FAT 32 is a good platform.

If he is not hands on, then go to an Apple Genius bar, and they will do it all for him....free perhaps...not sure.

.doc files open with most Mac programs they are just different, and may change the setup of the document. Images etc.

Most everything is compatible, may need some downloads and etc for Windows Media player files...and windows based files.

9. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

or computer died, so we thought it was time for a mac. The hard drive was still okay though so we saved it from the wrek, placed it into an external hard drive enclosure and connected it to the mac. Whenever we need files we just look it up on our old hard drive.

disadvantages;

- the old computer is missing a hard drive (you could replace it with a new one)
    - it keeps messy, you've got to search your way through. For example: external hard drive; users; username; documents.
    - It's useless when you have a macbook

10. PockieLoli :3 macrumors member

xD I personally signed onto two separate AIM usernames on my Macbook and my old desktop and used AIM's file transfer to move everything...

The cheap way, but it works.

I did that for all my music because that's all that I cared for.
    It probably only took about 30 minutes, too and I had about 5GB of music.
    You can have as many file transfers running as you'd like too if your son doesn't want to send everything in one huge folder.