Moving Hard Drive from Dead Mac to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason2811, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

My original white Macbook just died after 3.5 years. It turns on in the sense that the white light works but there is no actual startup. I took it to the Apple store and they told me the logic board would need to be replaced. The computer itself is pretty beat up so I figure it's time for a new one. I plan on buying a Macbook Pro this week. How can I get files off of my old MacBook? The logic board is dead so I can't really do much. Any advice? Thank You.

Also, there is no way I want to pay Apple $100 for their One-to-One transfer program.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do you want to use your old hard drive in your new Macbook? Or do you want to copy your files from your old Macbook to your new one?

3. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just want to move a few of the files over (itunes music, pictures, documents).

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You have two choices target disk mode where literally plug your old laptop into your new one. The alternative is buying an external usb enclosure and copying individual files over. The advantage of this last method is that you end up with a working external hard drive.

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Will I be able to start my computer in Target Disk Mode even though I can't see anything? Also, how much do these USB enclosures cost?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

7. uhohzitzcooky macrumors newbie

Macbooks use SATA so be sure to get the right enclosure