Moving Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Matt410, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Matt410 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been using an early 2011 Mac Mini since I bought it new, but it has recently become less and less able to cope with what I need it to do, so I've just bought a 2008 Mac Pro.

My question is whether I would be able to take my SSD from my mac mini (which was installed by certified professionals about 6 months ago) and simply put it into one of the spare bays in the mac pro and keep all my software etc.

The mac pro has 2x quad core xeon 3.2ghz processors and 24gb of ram so am i right in thinking that it should cope fine with OS 10.10 Yosemite which is installed on the mini's SSD?
    thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that will work just fine.

The only issue you may have is some apps are registered based on the hardware UUID of the Mac, so those apps may see you are in new hardware and make your reregister. Adobe and MS apps are bad about this.

3. Matt410 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks! Most of my software is iLok protected, do you know if that will need re-registering?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that at all.

5. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

that should work fine! here is something crazy I did years ago. they claimed the 68000 version of the os wouldn't run in a power mac ? system was I think 8.1 thats total BS I took a hard drive from a quadra 650 put in in a 7500 Av for **** giggles. it worked well ran much faster due to the lower overhead! go figure.

6. WayneStewart macrumors newbie

You could try starting up the mini in target disk mode and connecting to the MP via firewire. Then boot the MP off the minis HD and see if the apps will actually work.