Moving hd from lacie rugged 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sheilia, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Sheilia macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I can open the lacie rugged 3.0 to take out the hd and put in another rugged to see if I can access my data? The usb no longer works and there isn't another option, i.e. 800, 400, etc.
    There is a round slot that I have a cord for with a usb on the other end and when I plug that in my computer it sounds like it's running, but never mounts on my macs.
    Seems like it should be easy to do, but don't want to break the seal until I know what I'm getting into. thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Does the device show up Disk Utility or System Profiler / System Information > Hardware > USB? Both applications can be found via Spotlight (CMD+SPACEBAR) or in the Utilities folder (Finder > Menu Bar > GO > Utilities) and some other means of navigating Mac OS X).

If not, look here for a guide to dismantle the drive and here for a SATA to USB connector.

3. Sheilia thread starter macrumors newbie

it doesn't show up in disk utility or finder. I checked out the link, but not sure if taking it apart will help if the connectors are part of the unit. I'll see if I can take it to a mac repair since they are likely familiar with lacie.
    Thanks for the link.

4. simsaladimbamba

While the link I provided show an older model with an older connection interface, once the casing is off, you can simply pull the HDD off the SATA connector connected to the little green PC board.

5. Sheilia thread starter macrumors newbie

I go ahead and disassemble it. Fortunately, I had another that I hadn't used yet and was able to put it in that housing and dump everything to another HD then put the new one back together. Won't buy more HDs without multiple inputs. One usually goes out in the life of the drive so I should have known better. Thanks for the help.