Moving HDs from Mac Pro to External

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kcdude, May 2, 2011.

1. kcdude macrumors regular

I have 4 hard drives (Mac OS Journal formatted) that I want to move from my Mac Pro to an external enclosure. Then I want to be able to access the drives with my new Mac Pro. They contain data now and I obviously don't want to format them. Do I need to do anything to set up the external enclosure? Should I set it up first, attach it to the Mac Pro and then transfer the data? Or can I just remove them, pop them in the enclosure and connect to the MP?

Any recommendations on a 4 bay enclosure?

2. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

FWIW, I purchased a cheap $25 SATA enclosure, removed the drive, installed in the enclosure and connected back to the MP....works perfectly.

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Did you find that having external drives slows you down a bit when the MP accesses those drives?

I have a Mac Pro too, and at one time moved my iTunes library to an external disk...Every time I played music or movies, the whole computer would lag for several seconds until the drive "caught up to speed".

That's why I won't use external drives anymore - I just upgraded all my internal drives instead.

4. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

I just did some limited file movement to confirm it would still recognize the drive without formatting it for the enclosure. I think it is safe to say that it would run slow as molasses over USB versus internal.

I'm curious to see how a TB external with non-ssd drives connected to a MBP run versus internal drives on a MP...got my fingers crossed and hope the drives are the limiting factor.