Moving "Home Directory" Recommended?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsOnAnabolics, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Hello there,

I recently installed the data doubler into my optical drive bay with my stock HDD (750GB). MBP in sig.

So now I have two hard drive in my MBP. What is recommended when dealing with the Home Directory? If I were to move it to my HDD would I notice a performance degradation? Should I just keep my Home Directory on my SSD (Main bay)?

Can someone help give me some advice on this particular issue. For those of you who have two storage devices in your MBP, what have you techies done/doing with the Home Directory?

Thanks.

2. ApplePu macrumors regular

Leave the home directory on the SSD, especially the Library as there are files in there that are accessed often. For the other data like pictures, music, movies etc. you can use symbolic links (google that if you don't know how to do it). you then still have those folders in your home directory, but they are showing content of any other folder on your HDD you define. that way you keep the access path but you can store the data on your larger HDD. :cool:

3. sunnyj macrumors 6502

i tried to google but i came up with nothing. i want do the same thing as the OP. thanks

4. snapper64 macrumors regular

Don't move the Home directory. Just move certain large folders over (i.e. iTunes library).

You don't necessarily need to use symbolic links to do it either. I've currently got my iTunes library, iPhoto library, Dropbox folder, my Movies and my Downloads folder on the HDD without using any.

• iTunes - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449
    • iPhoto - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229
    • Dropbox - Just specify a location on your HDD during setup.
    • Downloads - Created an Downloads folder on the HDD and changed Safari's download location to the new folder. You can also do this with Firefox/Chrome/etc.
    • Media/Other - Just moved these onto the HDD, no setup necessary. You can drag them onto your dock or the finder sidebar for quick access. I replaced the existing links to Downloads and Documents (SSD) with the HDD folders.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm not sure how you searched, "move home folder mac" would give you everything you need in the first few links.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

It's actually not that easy finding a tutorial on how to redirect to folders on another drive. It's easy to do, but finding help on how to do it if you're not proficient with Terminal is the key. I followed the directions found HERE to move Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, and Sites to my optibay HDD.

7. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Thank you for this. However, it seems I am having trouble. When I click on a song, it wants me to "locate" it.

8. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics