Moving Home Folder OSX 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hbornste, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hbornste macrumors newbie

Hi guys I am attempting to move my home folder to an external Hard Drive following these directions--http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

however, once I restart my computer every time I try to open an application it says I can't access it due to disk write permissions. For example when I try to open iTunes I get this message "The folder iTunes is on a locked disk or you do not have permissions for this folder" Any ideas? Thanks!

----------

also when I click "get info" for the drive where my home folder is now located it says that I have read and write privileges

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

Why do you want to have the home folder, is it your main account, on an external HDD?

3. hbornste thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it says have read and write permission. I am moving my home folder so that I can use a smaller solid state drive as my boot disk and have my data on a big external

4. simsaladimbamba

And what format is it in?

What about storing the Home folder on the SSD and the data, that is so big, probably the iPhoto library and iTunes library and maybe even iMovie library, on the external HDD?
    I do not know, what Mac you have, but having the currently active folder on an external device might not be a good idea, as you currently see.

As for moving the home folder, I have once done so when having three partitions on my internal HDD, one for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and one for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and one for data and storing the home folder to be accessible by both OSs, and it worked quite well, I have used CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) to clone the USERS folder (you can deselect all other sub-folder you do not want to be copied) to the third partition.

It worked better than the guide you linked to, as no permissions were screwed up.