Moving Home Folders Or Using Aliases In Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bluethree, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Bluethree macrumors regular

Bluethree

Folks installed an SSD along with Optibay and am looking to make best use of the much needed space but keen to do it in the right way. I have a 2011 MBP with SSD in the original bay (user installed) and an Optibay with a 750 Gb HDD in the optical bay. All running OSX Lion. I would be really keen for some informed advice please.

1. Should I go down the Aliases route for selected folders i.e. Video, Music & Pictures or move the entire Home Folder to the new Optibay which houses a 750 Gb drive?

2. In either instance does anybody know how Filevault 2 performs i.e. In the event of moving the Home User Folder to a drive outside the boot drive will that folder be encrypted? Whilst video and music on an aliases context is not important to me ( to need to protect) I need to protect other vital work documents etc that would reside in the same Home Folder.

Grateful for any advice. :rolleyes:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Moving the Home folder is definitely easier as it's only one step. I don't have experience with aliases so I can't really comment on that. I don't know how FileVault works either but one option is to create an encrypted disk image for the work files if FV doesn't work.