Moving iMovie Events and Projects

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blaklaybul, Feb 4, 2008.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

Hello,

i wish to move all of my iMovie work onto an external hard drive.
    However, upon doing this, everytime I open up iMovie, the projects and events are all empty. How can I get the application to read from the external?

2. Wakakanada macrumors regular

New HDD

I am hoping to encourage an answer I just filled up my internal drive importing camcorder video into imovie and bought an external hard drive. I want to transfer all to the external before creating any projects. Is there a way to do a bulk transfer?

3. gloves macrumors newbie

From memory, I think you need to do the copying/moving from within Imovie itself rather than doing a copy/move with Finder to the external hard drive.

I can't quite remember how it's done off the top of my head I'm afraid.

Ah, here you go, I've found the forum answer that helped me out last time:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=345643

Hope it helps! :)

4. Wakakanada macrumors regular

Thanks...and ack!!!

:eek:
    I am in the process of moving the events over, thank you for the link to the answer.

But ACK! I have to transfer each event separately?!? Kinda wish I didn't check the box for "separate each day into a separate event" box... :eek:

The must be a way to do a bulk transfer...isn't there...oh well, one-at-a-time it is...:p

5. kudukudu macrumors regular

yeah, where is the select all option? I ran out of space on my boot drive and bought a secondary internal drive for movie clips. As far as I can tell the drag and drop function allows you to select multiple events stored within the same year/month container, but I can't find a way of moving all of my imovie '08 events in a bulk fashion. I googled the topic, but can't seem to find a script that automates this. I hope this issue has been solved with imovie '09.

***Edit***

I just discovered and turned off the view option that allows imovie events to be sorted by month. This isn't so bad since I can do a select all for each year.

6. annaharris macrumors member

I transferred my external hard drive data to iMovie, but when later I opened iMovie, the data was lost. How can I accomplish this ? Please help.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I take it you mean movie/video files? What format were they; .mov, .avi, .mp4 etc? How did you transfer them to iMovie?