Moving iMovie (ver. 9) projects / events

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Madmic23, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I need some help with iMovie file management.

I'm trying to free up some space on my 1TB internal iMac HDD. Currently, I have 19.9GB free.

I have a 3TB external that I would like to move all of my projects and events too. I found this article which describes what sounds like an easy method of moving things around. Basically, hold down Command when you click on a project, and drag it from the internal drive to the external. When you let go, it asks you if you want to move just the project, or the project plus the events. I chose option two. With one of my projects, it said this would take up 71GB on the new drive. Great.

Here's the problem: It move the project and events just fine, and everything works. But my internal HDD is still showing only 19.9GB free. Do I have to manually delete the events from somewhere on my internal drive? I took a look in my iMovie events folder and the event is no longer there, but it is on the external drive taking up 71GB of space.

Any ideas?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Render files might still be on the internal? Also make sure you moved the events AND the project over to the external before you delete anything else. Normally what I would do is transfer the project and events over from one drive to another then disconnect the original drive to see if everything really did transfer and the media was referenced properly but I don't think you can do that with your internal drive obviously. Keep in mind I haven't used iMovie in a while but I know the option vaguely and FCP has a similar option that I use often.

3. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uh oh, looks like I found the problem.

The reason why I'm trying to free up space is because I tried to instal the new iMovie last week. It started to convert all of my projects, but ran out of space on my HDD and crashed.

I just took a look at the new iMovie on my HDD, and it says it's taking up 498 GB. All of the projects that I've moved to the external in iMovie 9 are still in the new iMovie package contents folder.

This could get really messy trying to clean up. I think I will try deleting the new iMovie and then reinstalling it.

4. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Help.

I moved the 498 GB new iMovie package folder from my internal HDD to a a back up folder on an external drive. It took 5 hours to move over USB 2.0. Then, I deleted the package from my internal HDD.

You would think this would free up 498 GB worth of space. It didn't. It gave me an extra 100 GB, putting my total free space at 120 GB.

How is this even possible? The package on the external HDD is 498 GB. I went through various movie files in the package, and they all play back just fine.

Any ideas as to what's taking up all of the space, and where?

5. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Now that you have done all that. What about shutting you computer down and do a restart and see if the space information is still there.